Thursday, October 10, 2013

Out of Towners

You can always tell who is an out of towner.
They're White. Unless abundantly clear like Japanese tourists or Hasidic Jews, they're usually Caucasian. And at most from outside the city likeYonkers or more upstate. But for those of you living in Westchester county, please don't delude yourself and call yourself a NYer in the sense of the word this you're from the city. You and I both know you're not.
Second out of towners, they're always smiling, having lively conversations. Real NYers when conversing on the train it is for a purpose, like which stop to get off of next? Real NYers riding the train (mind you which is the subways) either look very tired, bored or miserable. The the rest hide in their phones, newspapers or books.
Third the way out of towners dress too mainstream. They wear something out of American Apparel or the Gap too clean, too new. The rest of us usually look fashionable but urban.
And then there's me, as of late most folks I meet now have started to ask me which borough I'm from? Which pleases me immensely. Hard to know what people think of me when I'm riding the train.
Some say NYers aren't friendly, but I bet 9 out of 10xs they're racists. And NYers can sniff out bullshit in a heartbeat. It's the truth, NYC is awesome but it's takes a long time to really know her like I do :-)

No comments: