Friday, May 25, 2007

You can't get there from here

I saw that on a postcard one time while I was visiting Maine with Ronnie and Zaxy two years ago. Hard to believe how much has changed in 2 years!

nyhoo the last few weeks has been one big blur of teaching, teaching, working on the DVD curriculum, teaching and um some more teaching ;)

Its Memorial Day Weekend and all I have planned is to edit tmw while Szymanski works on her jewerly making. Saturday morning teach and then hopefully meet up with Jack later that day.

Sunday I want to spend with Jack. He was sick with the flu for 2 weeks, and not just tiny sick, but sick sick. The kind where he seems catonic at times. And this man always has something to say so it was unusual. I am glad tho he's the kind of guy who when he gets sick, hes very easy to be around. He's not at all cranky or moody. Nor does he want to sleep it off either. I was glad he spent a lot of last week at my place. He had a fever on and off for a week. One night I stopped by BlockBuster where they were having a sale on used DVDs four for $20. I got a bunch for us to watch while he recovered. I know how it is to be sick. But whats even worse than that is being sick and BORED. Not having any energy to do anything makes it even easier to become depressed or despondent. Luckily Jack hung in there, and finally, today after 2 weeks of the flu, he's starting to feel normal again. I'm glad. I wasn't used to seeing him so ill for so long.

BTW as far as movies go from the past few weeks here's what I thought of the following;

Marie Antoninette with Kirstin Durnst, directed by Sophia Crapola *yeah I spelled it right* no wonder this movie bombed. There was nothing learned or gained from watching this fluff of people playing dress up. Plus whoever was the music director for this movie must've gotten the job through a family member or something. No way did that person earn this job on their own. Their choice in music was pitiful at times and this is coming from a DEAF woman who lack's the ability to tell if a person is singing off key or not. Now as for Kirstin Durnst. She always plays a snob role well, I loved how she ignored her Father in Law's whore. But, I thought was the most interesting part of the movie was the guy who played the prince, later turned King. Now here was an interesting face. I would've liked to have seen more focus on King Louis XVI (Jason Schwartzman) and his role in all of it. And that brings me to why I hated the movie. WHAT WAS THE POINT!?! I mean really, what did anyone learn or take away from the story when the movie ended? Sure the dresses and scene sets, PrETtiE yes, but what else? The ending SUCKED. I mean come on Sofia Crapola? What were you thinking? The movie lacked any real effort in character exploration or historical research *which always helps if youre gonna do a historical movie!* Nyways for several days after watching the movie, Jack had to listen to me grumble about how I watched all of it and it ended like that? Its not even "two thumbs down". Its "two bloody stumps attempting to use Sign Language down!!!"

I am hereby announcing I am a hyprocrite because while I swore off Mel Gibson. Not because of the Passion of Christ. No siree, it was when I saw him during a tv interview. When he was asked if he truly believed in evil spirits. He suddenly looked around his vincinity, eyes transfixed on specific points as if


he saw several imps jumping about and was annoyed and slighty afraid of them at the same time. I immediately thought cuckoo for Cocoa Puffs. He would get along with my friend Paula splendidly and they could do spiritual warfare sessions and be Christian or in his case Catholic warriors together... Then add on the anti-semite rant from last summer, I was never gonna give him a chance to grace my tv screen again till.... one night last week coming home from work, saw a young couple throw several dvds on the floor next to the trash cans. Immediately me and this one guy made a mad dash for the movies. The only one I scored that was worth any interest was Apocalypto. Jack and I decided to give it a whirl. Neither one expected it to be any good. I was intrigued because its suppose to be about the Mayan Civilization. This was one of the best "period" movies I had seen in a while. I cannot say how historically accurrate it was, considering the reviews are mixed. Most agree its epic vistas and I was hooked from beginning to end. I still don't like Mel Gibson, but this movie was well done, cannot be argued otherwise.



We also watched the Da Vinci Code which was nicely done too. Very straight-forward and amazingly just like the book. Nevermind the storyline itself was shit but the ideas brought forth from the story was great. I remember reading poor reviews of this movie. I don't see why tho because again, the actors, director and producers all followed the story line, chronologically. I guess the Priory of Sion and hidden messages within Leonardo's famous artworks wasn't enough to keep the audience interested. Granted the movie was 2 1/2 hrs long. Too long to sit on your arse in the movie theater with no bathroom breaks or to stretch your legs. I suspect that might have been part of the problem. The story is not fast, fast paced like most action movies are. Then again, it follows the speed of events from the book. If you have an interest in religion, then you will enjoy this movie. Just watch it on DVD so you can pause and take periodical breaks. Btw, Jack and I agree, Paul Bettany *he played the role of the imaginary friend in the movie A Beautiful Mind* was one of the best 'psychos-type character' we've seen on screen in a while. Kudos to Bettany on his performance.

No comments: