Sunday, July 15, 2007

“I hope for nothing. I fear nothing. I am free.”

-Nikos Kazantzakis

We just wrapped up the 3 day shoot of the Rosen Project!!! I am so glad to be done, it was a LONG weekend with little shuteye for moi. As usual I couldnt sleep because whenever I am doing a film project, I am always more anxious and it makes it harder to sleep.

Everyone that Ronnie, Blondie and I worked with were terrific. Cool-B really nailed his narrations, same goes for King. Frazier added the much needed comic relief and Rivera was easy to work with as well. I finally met Rivera yesterday, we had seen one another on Gallaudet Campus in the past but ran in different circles. Nice guy.

Ronnie left at 4pm to return to Maine. She really saved our asses because of her strong linguistic background as well as her ability to understand Rusty's ambigious instructions or visions. She was the primary director, I was the camera-lady. I didn't mind because operating the lights and camera kept me on my feet a lot as well as smaller tasks, such as paperwork, recording who did what, etc etc...

Gawd I am so tired. Last week I had an interview at a national tv studio for ASL translation and instruction for one of the actresses on the show. I was asked to go back on Friday afternoon and from 4-5 I met with this actress and taught her basic signs for simple phrases like Thank you, What's wrong?, Father/Mother (other family related signs). She only has three lines she has to sign for Mondays shoot which is tmw. Her character on the show is supposendly has a deaf father who she's estranged from. I don't know whether or not I will be asked to return on Monday for the shoot itself. The actress seemed to really want me there. She was a quick study and unfortunately the script calls for Sim-Com (stimulataneous communication, ie spoken English/PSE). I don't know if this will lead to more work down the road or if it was a 1 time deal? Once I know more, I will give the name of the show and actress as well as the air date. But for now, prefer not to get myself in trouble with this studio.

I also acquired two new tutoring gigs. One is with a woman who is visiting from California for 1 month and is trying to enter the theatre interpreting program. I am helping her with her song from the Broadway show Rent. The other tutoring job involves a 5 year old and a 7 year old, as well as their baby sister who's a little over a year old.

Well I recieved the results of my CST exam. NO, I didn't pass :( This time I missed it by a lousy friggin 4 points! You all should've seen the look on my face when I opened the email with the result. It was a low blow for me this past week. Really has me thinking if NYC is a viable option anymore? I must consider other locations or cities now. I am tired of the barely getting by mode I've been in since I moved from MD. I know I could get a job probably somewhere in LI, but I don't want to live there. And frankly I've touched the main locations where people teach ASL, I've explored Manhattan, Queens and a little of Brooklyn. I love my friends here but thats not enough of a reason to stay when its no longer affordable. I know if I had to move somewhere else cheaper but in NYC. I would not be happy. I want a fresh start. Jack and I will meet later this week and discuss locations. He too is feeling tired of NYC. Afterall he was born and raised here. He has been wanting to get an apartment that actually has some space, a balcony, a parking lot/garage, a washer/dryer etc etc.. I've already told him of 1 city (Chicago) I am interested in, but he wants to do some research and find out the cost of living, salary incomes. Me, I am more interested in being in a new city I've never been to rather than Philly, Boston, DC, LA, NYC. And an urban setting with EXCELLENT public transportation. I don't wanna be in a situation that forces me to have a car, no sireee!

3 comments:

abc said...

Have you considered St. Louis? Cost of living is a major plus in the Midwest, and recreational opportunities are immense.

Anonymous said...

You might want to consideer abc's suggestion. Possibly St. Louis is a safer, cleaner environment than Chicago.
Baba

K said...

Jen,

I can see you living (and thriving) in San Francisco. It's a haven for creative professionals. Alas, the cost of living in SF is tad marginal lower than in NYC.

My sweetie and I toyed with an idea of relocating to a different metro city. It may happen in two years or so.

Drop me a line :)