Thursday, July 05, 2007

You speak so well...

How many times has a deafie been praised on their "hearing" like speech abilities? Why if I had a nickel for every time I was told I sounded like a hearie only with a slight... lisp...or..speech impediment? Why I'd be living in Soho! Truddy Suggs tells it like it is with Speak Up! Well, Maybe Not. One of the things that impressed me with Jack on my 1st date with him over sushi for lunch was his bluntness when I asked, "do I sound like a deaf person?" and without batting an eyelid, he replied "oh yeah you sure do." There was no sugar coating it, no placating my feelings but the simple truth. I'm deaf, therefore I speak like one. To this day my boyfriend doesn't understand why hearies feel the need to lie to us about our speaking ability. What does it achieve other than a false sense of conformity that doesn't exist any where else outside of the speech pathologist's office or special ed class ? In the real world I have seen my friends try to say what they mean only to have me intervene and say it for them. And even then there are no guarentees that I may have to then go to the next chain of command, from a deafie to a hoh, then a hoh to a hearie to get the message across. Jack has seen me at times speak and get annoyed when I am not understood because frankly it doesnt happen often. I do not consider this a bragging right but simply the fact that even I, known for my prowness among the hearies at times cannot be understood any better than any other deafie. I feel like the next time I get the whole "You speak so well..." like I'm a circus animal, I want to reply "if only you signed as well as I speak..." but thats the meanie in me tired of being an "inspiration" or whatever it is that makes the folks pat themselves on the back.

Been dealing with major allergies. All because I am a such a miser at times. While I was in Maine one day, I remember something flew up my right nostril *I kid you not* and from then on I tried to sneeze it out but never did. I don't know what it was, a loose pollen particle? Who knows but when I returned to NYC, my head rang and made me light headed. The same kind you get when you blow up too many balloons at once. Then last week it was all post-nasal drip, with a major sore throat that finally, after Baba talked some sense into me, I went to the doctor on Monday with Jack and it turns out that I either had a severe allergic reaction to whatever made its way up into my sinuses in Maine or I have some kind of viral infection. Either way I was given 3 rxs and within 12 hours I could "see clearly now that the rain has washed away..." or in my case the decongestant made life bearable once more. Argh there's a fine line between uncomfortable and plain outright suffering. I was SUFFERING just because I didn't want to shell out the money but in the end it cost me because I was in such bad shape I couldn't teach my class on Monday night cuz I was so miserable. Lesson learn! Deal with the doc fees and move on.

It rained here for the 4th of July. No biggie cuz Jack and I caught the Lancaster fireworks last Sunday night before we returned to NYC. Man they were amazing. I love NYC in every way but no way do their fireworks compare to mine back home. But I would easily give up good fireworks for NYC any day.

Well my ad on CL for ASL tutoring paid off. Got contacted for two jobs, 1 would be a private tutoring for 2 sisters who have a deaf cousin. The other is an ASL master for a play being performed later this month. Yay!

My birthday is about a month away and already I've been asking Jack, what are we gonna do? What are you gonna get me for my birthday? He just smiles and says its too soon, I only start thinking about it 4 weeks away. I explained my birthday gear goes to full throttle 3 months prior to the event. Don't ask me why, I am just a BIG KID! I've decided since my bday is on a Friday I would like for him to take me out to a private dinner, just the two of us. Then meet up with friends for drinks and dancing somewhere else. This way I get the best of both worlds. I already know which dress I'm gonna wear. Just need the neckline altered and I'm set. Man double digits this year!

No comments: