Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Calling all reality junkies

Heads up! On Oct 10th @ 8pm there will be a deaf couple featured on the Super Nanny show. And for those of you who don't already know but there's a deaf guy Martin Ritchie on the Janice Dickson Modeling Agency show as well. There's a great article about him from deafqueer.org. They don't show him a lot in the footage but I do see the show making an effort to have 1 on 1 time with him where he has a chance to speak his mind to the audience at home. Nothing very exciting happens with him compared to some of the other models on the show. Which is kind of good because he comes off as well mannered and quiet rather than loud and obnoxious. Thats the kind of image more deafies in the media need to show. That not all of us are uneducated and drama infested.

I don't know about you, but I am ga-ga over reality shows. Right now I watch regularly the following shows;

New York Goes to Hollywood (VH1) which sadly just ended. I can't get enough of New York! She reminds me of my old roommate in some ways, a beautiful Black woman who dresses sexy.
Brooke Knows Best (VH1) Ok, I admit, she's not the brightest bulb in the pack but when its been a long day and I don't want to think, this works well for that.
America's Top Model I just enjoy watching the behind the scenes
Chef Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares or any of his series
I Love Money (VH1) I can't get enough of the backstabbing, drama and the lies this show has! Plus its made up of all former reality contestants from other shows which is kinda cool too.
How do I look? I like this show because its more down to earth than What Not to Wear
True Life (MTV) depending on the topic, some are interesting, others just plain stupid or boring so this is deafinitely a grab bag.

I enjoy also watching Dog Whisper but only if I am with Baba, so we can discuss the folks shown on that series and how they treat their dogs. If I am by myself, BORING.

Jack can't understand my obession with these shows but what can I say, I am so into watching how other people live and yeah I know its edited and we only see what the producers want us to see but nonetheless still captivating.

And now more and more deafies are popping up. I thank Christy Smith who appeared in Survivors for opening Hollywood's eyes to the potential of having deafies on their reality shows.

What I would LOVE to see is the TLC channel devote a show on a deaf family. They already have a show called Little People, Big World so why not have one on us deafies? I think it would be a real eye opener for the world to see how deaf families work and their everyday lives. I just hope they don't pick a family from Frederick, MD. Their kids are such brats! I can't stand that circle of deafies and when I worked at MSD CC, I had to deal with some of the kids from Frederick and they were rude imps. No manners or respect for anyone including their parents, ugh!

For several years when I still lived in MD, I would audition for Big Brother but I never got in. I finally gave up. But I would love for me and Jack to audition for Amazing Race. Hmm, I think I will deafinitely look into that!

2 comments:

matthew said...

Martin Richie is who he is because of me. I met him online many years ago when he lived in Austin Texas and I was here in los angeles. He would talk to me online everyday and we had an online relationship. after a few months he told me his parents kicked him on the streets because they found out he is gay. I flew him out to los angeles, let him move in with me if he promised to get a job and help out around the house. All he did was use me for money, never paid me back for the airplane trip or food I bought him. I eventually found him a new place to live because we clearly were not a romantic match. about 6 months later I saw him in west hollywood and i asked him to pay me back for the plane ticket. I never got so much as a thank you. When I saw him there he pretended he didnt even know who I am or I existed. He pretended to have no idea who I was.

deafeningchameleon said...

Wow
so sorry that he took advantage of you. What goes around comes around
-DC