Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Settling in

This is my 1st real work week and
already I'm tired. It doesn't help that
I'm pmsing so it makes me even more so.
Right now we're understaffed at 1 of
my jobs where I work as a media tech.
Today in a span of 1 hr, I did over 15 jobs!
Hopefully next week there will be a new
part timer, see see.

I'm a bit frusturated with the transportation
options going to NJ late afternoon by the
DeCamp bus sucks ASS! I saw online this bus
service has many poor reviews and now I
know why. For example, last thurs was the
1st night of class and I made sure to arrive
at Port Authority (42nd st) and brought my
ticket using my reduced fare care that
screams DISabled. That's fine by me, any
way to save a buck cuz most of the time
I'm FINancially DISabled anyways ;) so I
asked the ticket guy if the bus went to
the school and he assures me, yes oh yes.
So I board the bus and look out periodically
and see no sign of my drop off location,
finally after a LONG time I walked up to
the driver (who gave me a hard time when
I boarded using the reduce fare ticket)
and he informs me I'm on the wrong bus!?!
3 buses later I stumble to the campus and
I was to start teaching at 5 30, but barely
made it by 5 50 so 1/3rd of my class had
left. I was a mess, sweating (swearing in-
wards...) Plus my classroom is awful!
Its oblong, not deaf friendly, not a hint of
modern technology except a dusty over
head projector (who uses those anymore?)

Well I decide to give DeCamp bus #66 1
more chance on Monday. Bad move, again
the ticket guy assures me the 430 bus
goes to the campus and ill be fine. Deja
Vu, the bus driver looks at me like
I'm from mars when I show him my reduce
ticket and ID. Then I ask does this go to
X campus? He replies in broken English he
cannot understand me, but apparently can
understand the 2 nearby French men. They
tell me I can be dropped off a few blocks
away from the school. I anxiously ride the
bus and when we get to this magical corner
of Valley Rd/Dr whatever I exit the bus
and somehow figure out where to go. Its
not exactly a few blocks. I'm done with
DeCamp bus #66. You won't get another
penny from me! Instead my boss at media
is willing to let me leave an hour earlier
so that I can take the Nj train, much nicer
and no one gives me a hard time about the
reduce fare.

Last Friday night I went to DPHH and
had a GREAT time. I'm so glad I decided
to volunteer as the photographer for
the website. Having a reason to go
makes it even better. I met the nicest
couple from PA, got to see King and some
others.

I am a bit bummed, I planned to buy my
ticket for Deaf Idol on Friday but was
waiting on 2 different people to see if
they plan to go so we get the tickets
together but they aren't and now the
tickets are sold out! At least there will
be a live feed of the show. I can always
go to the bar afterwards and meet up
with Ronnie. She was the only reason I
had planned to go and give support. As
well as SSP for my friend Martin. So
unless Deaf Nation makes an exception
for Martin to have me there to SSP, ill
probably watch it with Szymanski on
her laptop. And its going to be exciting,
the audience votes, the judges votes and
the viewers from the computers we get
to vote too! Just google deaf idol for
more info!

This Sat is also my Moms bday! Happy
early bday Mom. I would NEveR forget it!

No comments: