Wednesday, March 10, 2010

My 1st Spa Experience

So last Saturday my friend Ellie and I
hit a spa on the UES. They had a special
where you paid $100 for 2 hours worth of
services. They had a list of services you
could choose from, a total of 2, 1 per
hour. We both decided to get the Swedish
Massages. For the 2nd hour, Ellie chose
a facial and I chose foot reflexology.

We arrived for our appt right on time
and entered a small lobby area with
soft I think Chinese music playing?
Everyone was Chinese and since I
am Deaf, identifying music is not my
forte. The man immediately greeted
us and led us to the back rooms
which were all dimly lit into 1 room
that had 2 massage tables side by side.
We were instructed to strip and given
nice luxury towels to wrap ourselves in.
We both were san bras but kept our
panties on. Then we were instructed
to lie face down into the donut hole
pillow and the massages began.

Boy oh boy I was being tortured! Every
time the woman massaging me found a
spot that hurt, she dove into the same
spot over and over again! I started to
wonder if perhaps she thought I had
requested "deep tissue" massage because
Blondie explained those are horrific!
Finally after 30 mins of suffering I lifted
my head up and ask her to lighten the
pressure just a teeny bit and she did.
Once the torture factor was gone it
felt pretty nice. I admit lying face down
for an hour is too long for me and I
actually enjoy having my arms and legs
massaged more than my back which
they did for like 10 mins while the other
50 mins was all back massage.

That ended and Ellie and I wondered
what was next but they informed us to
stay and turn over onto our backs. So
we did and the women propped for the
next hour. My masseuse (sp?) started
massaging my temples and again I
wondered if perhaps she thought I wanted
a facial but soon after that she moved down
to my feet and began massaging my left
foot/calf. It felt good. I started to think
what's the difference between foot
reflexology and a regular foot massage?
I honestly couldn't tell you.

When it was all over, we both were soooo
relaxed we didn't want to move. I could've
gone to sleep happily! But sadly we had to
go.

Ironically that night about 7 hours after
the spa visit I began to sneeze uncontrollably!
I was sneezing and blowing my nose for the
rest of the night! I thought, gee my luck to get
a cold or allergies now! When I woke up on
Sunday the sneezing/blowing nose resumed
for another few hours and then all but stopped!
I read up on reflexology and found out that one
of the side effects of reflexology is it rids your
body of toxin buildups. Often people after a
reflexology appt will go to the bathroom more
or in my case mucus aglore fest! And other
common reactions follow for a few days.

I guess you could say I am a believer in
reflexology! And already want to have
another reflexology session soon! I
also have always wanted to try acupuncture
too! Some people might think I am a little
loopy but I do believe our bodies are made
up of more than just organic matter and
star dust but energies too. I have in the past
briefly studied Chakras etc etc but this
experience has renewed my interest again!

If anyone asked me what I recommend when
going to a spa I would recommend reflexology
above anything else!

No comments: