Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Emotions! Some days I can do without!

So recently I started therapy to learn
better coping skills. When one has ADD
they often experience a lifetime of
frustrations and inability to deal with
feelings that overwhelm them. Case
in point, me.

All my life I have always felt at the mercy
of my emotions. When I was a teenager I
had the worst temper and all of my friends
never wanted to fight with me because I
was not a fair fighter. I would hit below
the belt simply because I felt hurt, therefore
they were to be hurt just as much as I was.
I also didn't handle criticism well but id like
to think I've improved on that. Simply be-
cause I remind myself, opinions are like
assholes, everyone has one. So I always
tell people I will listen, I may not agree but
I will take what they say and digest it.

Lately I have begun learning healthier ways to
deal with my anger and frustrations. Such
as stop thought techniques and reading up
on anger distortions. Plus I am owing up to
my feelings and that I am in charge of how
I feel. Eleanor Roosevelt said "no one can
make you feel inferior without your consent."
How true.

I've only gone for 2 sessions and I feel good
to know I am on the path that will lead to
a more balance reaction when stress hits or
when I feel overwhelmed.

Funny I have always been jealous of those
who remain calm and cool during trying times.
I can do that too when the situation is about
someone else and not myself. But boy oh boy
when its me, I either roar like a lion or whimper
like a kicked dog. And then afterwards I feel
even worst because I lost my cool. I think if
only I had said this or done that but its too
late.

Therapy isn't fun but it can be rewarding,
especially when you can see the difference
in your everyday life. Right now its a little
too soon but I do see an inkling of how I am
getting better.

No comments: