Friday, April 09, 2010

Faith

I remember while growing up and visiting my friend Erica, she had on her wall the following poem

Footprints in the Sand


One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord. Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.

In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand. Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there was one only.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints, so I said to the Lord,

“You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always. But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there has only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, have you not been there for me?”

The Lord replied, “The years when you have seen only one set of footprints, my child, is when I carried you.”


Mary Stevenson, 1936

I know its a very popular poem among Christians but I feel it can be applied to anyone who has faith. What's interesting to note is there are 3 different versions of the poem above and wikipedia states as the possible origins dating back to 1880 sermon but the author is truly unknown.

So does this mean I myself believe in one supreme being, a parental figure who knows and controls everything? No, I believe in being a part of a larger whole, a life force that pumps through the veins of the universe. If there is a God I do not view it as something that possesses human qualities but more as a source of incredible and divine energy.

George Carlin once said he worships the sun. I really love this particular piece from his stand up comedy routine. George Carlin was certainly an intriguing man who made us think when he spoke. [Excerpt below from here;]
Overnight I became a sun-worshipper. Well, not overnight, you can't see the sun at night. But first thing the next morning, I became a sun-worshipper. Several reasons. First of all, I can see the sun, okay? Unlike some other gods I could mention, I can actually see the sun. I'm big on that. If I can see something, I don't know, it kind of helps the credibility along, you know? So everyday I can see the sun, as it gives me everything I need; heat, light, food, flowers in the park, reflections on the lake, an occasional skin cancer, but hey. At least there are no crucifixions, and we're not setting people on fire simply because they don't agree with us.

Sun worship is fairly simple. There's no mystery, no miracles, no pageantry, no one asks for money, there are no songs to learn, and we don't have a special building where we all gather once a week to compare clothing. And the best thing about the sun, it never tells me I'm unworthy. Doesn't tell me I'm a bad person who needs to be saved. Hasn't said an unkind word. Treats me fine. So, I worship the sun. But, I don't pray to the sun. Know why? I wouldn't presume on our friendship. It's not polite.
I guess lately with my more active involvement with Town & Village Synagogue it made me re-evaluate my views on religion and to be honest not much has changed except I am able to appreciate my heritage more and be a part of my religion wholly.

In different and much less exciting news, I played grown up most of the afternoon. Paying bills, calling the ins company, calling about my school loans, all kinds of fun stuff. But now at least its out of the way, freeing me up to enjoy my weekend.

No comments: