Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Dissection kit

Yesterday my dissection kit arrived and today I got to use my scapel and forceps on a cadaver. It truly was a neat thing to be able to study the human body like this! Talk about up close and personal. I swear, if I was younger, I would go to medical school and maybe study autopsy. I wish my age wasn't working against me. I really wished I hadn't given up on science like I did when I was younger and allowed it to become a mental block for many years. The appreciation for anatomy was there all along! I just figured my poor science background made it an impossible dream to do anything with mediciene. I just wish I had more time and less debts.

Earlier today I was comparing other OT Master programs in the area and by far, my school is deAfinitely the most hardcore when it comes to their science and training expectations. I appreciate that. I also think I am slowly becoming friends with one physician assistant student who I think is a terrific girl! I met her during my summer A&P II course and I think in the next class I am going to ask her if she would like to study together sometimes or work the labs sometimes? I will say my cadaver crew, there are 5 of us assigned to one body (only the left side, the right side is for a different class) are a nice bunch. I also enjoy this cadaver class because its based on Gross Anatomy (what one can see with the eyes). Nice change of pace from the molecular & cellular level. I do have to worry about the dreaded spinal cord (dura matter etc etc), the plexuses/nerves and a few other areas that I struggled with last semester. I better master it this time around.

I have also decided this semester to seek out study buddies for both of my class as they are so intensive! And 2 off the top of my head (1 from each class) is the girl I mentioned recently and 1 guy from my Monday night's class. Funny cuz they're both so super brainy, but hey so am I! Besides if you want to be the best you have to surround yourself with the best!

On a different note as a Deafie, it is very hard to watch the terps and look at anatomy photos or bodies. Really, by the time the terps finishes spelling a word, they've moved on to the next area of identification. My terps are kick ass that's not the problem its just when one is Deaf, their eyes can only be looking at so many places at the one time! Luckily for me the lab assistant say she would be willing to show me separately and that's a-okay with me. I prefer that so that way I can actually see what's being identified. Let the hearies squirm against one another for a good view, I'll take a different path. I have NO trouble requesting services or informing my professors what I need. For example this semester in both of my courses there are audio based materials. I do not want terps for that, I want the transcript. I want direct translation and I want to be able to review it again and again just like my peers who may chose to listen to the audio files however many times they like.

Also my Monday night class was way cool! I go to practice palpation on the guy who I hope will be my study buddy. Very nice kid, this is our 3rd class together. We had to identify the scapula (lateral border, medial/vertebral border, spine, superior angle, inferior angle, subscapular fossa and acromion which by the way is a little hard to find). I am digging biomechanics! Guess what else? I have to buy some "wife beater" tank tops for this class. As there is a clothing policy and whatever we are studying we must be able touch directly via skin. I will get over my displeasure of wearing these tops because everyone of us has to.

As for my teaching, I feel like I am off to a pretty good start. I am staying ahead of my lesson plans despite having to master a new edition of a curriculum that I was never fond of. And surprisingly my 1 boss speaks highly of me in front of me, so my earlier concerns can be put to rest. Whew!

I was feeling kind of down earlier today but I can't let it stop the momentum. Next course of action is to find study buddies so that I can be on top of my game. I cannot afford mistakes or any grade lower than an A- in both of my classes. Otherwise my chances for grad school acceptance is minimal. Competition is fierce today and I got to beat out I think 80 other applicants. Ugh talk about pressure but its the kind that's only added fuel to this fire!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so impressed that you know what you need in order to succeed and you get right on it. That takes a lot of guts (which you've always had) but also a generous helping of intelligence. Cousin Linda thinks you're great to have accomplished what you have. She agreed you have to be super bright to do what you've done. I'm glad you weren't repulsed by working on a cadaver. I don't think I could do it. Love you, Baba