Tuesday, September 06, 2011

Re-adjusting

My Bastard Kitty finally graces my home with his presence and its been glorious to have him here. He has never been far from my heart these past almost 4 years while he was at Mom. Never again will I lose my Tom-Tom. I considered him to be my Dæmon (from a book triology written by Philip Pullman called His Dark Materials). Although humans are physically separate from their dæmons, they are metaphysically connected, and most human-dæmon pairs cannot bear to be distanced by more than several yards. Its true because while we have been separated he appears in my dreams, I literally longed for him. I don't remember which one of these books I read, it was only one that Knob raved about and I gave it a shot. Didn't much care for the book, but the dæmon part has stayed with me to this day. And Tom is it.

Earlier today I took my 1st nap in God knows how long? I seriously haven't taken one in probably over a year or two. And it felt good to wake up and see Tom lying next to my head, sprawled out and fast asleep with me. Even now as I blog he's at the edge of my bed keeping an eye on things as that's his job you know. I won't be so lonely studying this semester as I have been in the past.

Today is literally my last day of freedom in probably the next 11 months. Sure I get off for the holidays but its not the same as summer breaks or vacation that doesn't revolve around a major holiday. As Baba keeps saying this Spring will probably be the hardest yet but for now I just got to worry about getting through another challenging anatomy class and from what I read at Rate My Professor, mine is tough! I will have to learn exactly how to study for this new teacher because with my old one and a favorite (he was so cute and sweet but tough) I knew how to zero in on possible areas. Ugh I am a little freaked out about this 8:30am class 2xs a week for the next 4 months! Anyone who knows me well knows I don't do mornings. What makes those mornings even worse is my class ends at around 11:40am and then I don't have class or teach that night till 6pm at the same campus. Most likely on those 830am days I will go back and forth to home and back to the school and either to study or to nap or to do lesson plans/grades.

So what exciting things do I have on my agenda the next few days here in the Big Apple? I am going to go to the DMV either tmw in between classes or on Thurs before meeting a friend whom I haven't seen in a few years for lunch at Grand Central station. Tmw night after I teach my 1st class its off to Blondie for dinner. She's making pot roast, yum yum I can't hardly wait for a home cooked meal! I am spoiled by Mom's these past few weeks. She even made me sirloin tips which I hadn't had in 20 plus years. As well as my all time favorite that's always a hit, the stove top BBQ chicken over rice. Meanwhile I also made Mom's recipe of a no bake key lime pie which is truly the simplest recipe yet.

1/2 cup of lime juice (preferably KEY lime)
1 can (14 oz) of sweeten condense milk
1 (8oz) of cream cheese
1 graham cracker or oreo crusted pie shell
1 (8oz) of cool whip

Step 1
Let the cream cheese sit on the counter for 1 hour to soften (trust me on this I didn't and it made it harder to blend)

Step 2
then mix the cream cheese, sweetened condensed & milk lime juice with an electric mixer till silky smooth (mine still had tiny bits of cream cheese which I hope won't be noticable?)

Step 3
Pour into the pie shell and let it sit in the fridge for a few hours.

Step 4
Let the cool whip (if still frozen) sit out for a while till soft

Step 5
Layer the whipped cream on top of the pie and stick back in the fridge for a few more hours.

The cool whip helps balance the tartness and thickness of the pie which is as I type this mouth watering DAMN GOOD! Also the pie does not require covering during this time, but once you serve it and have left overs, use foil or pie cover to keep it fresh. Tmw night I will bring this delicious treat to share with Blondie and Eddie! So Mom, thanks again for the great recipe! You see all of us, Baba, Mom and I are the kind of cooks that like recipes that are simple to make. I don't believe in tons of processed food but a healthy balance of some recipes using either few ingredients or some pre-made stuff is the only way I will be motivated to cook at home. I don't mind cooking if it doesn't take me forever to make and extensive cleanup. After all here in the city almost no one in an apartment has a dishwasher, this means EVERYTHING is hand washed. I am proud though since moving to this wonderful apartment, I do cook a lot more than I did at the old one. I admit my ex was right, it was too small to really live in comfortably. Here I actually have a KITCHEN. Not a little walk by area between my front door, the bathroom and the living room.

Last Friday night, I went to the Green Dragon with David, Nancy and Bobby. On the way there we saw a sign at one gas station that read this;

Here's me signing worms in ASL with Uncle David

Here's Nancy and David apparently excited about the possibilities &
don't ask me why David maintains a deadpan Amish if you will face-like expression?

I do miss my family, and I can't wait for some of them to visit. I am even determined that Baba comes for a 2 day visit at least. For once I am living in a nice place and I want her to see my home and see my life here. I am more than willing to drive her to and from PA to NYC and back. She will read this and think I am crazy but I am not and that's that. Its just a matter of when? Perhaps over x-mas? Either way we will order Chinese food and watch fun holiday movies like Christmas Story.

My aunt Nancy and I were also talking some about hers, David and Bobby's visit here and I figure if not this fall for sure this Spring. I want them to come on a weekend when I know Town & Village Synagogue will have ASL terps (thanks to Bram & Marcia and many others!) so they can come and meet my congregation as I consider T&V the place to be! Yes they should come in the spring, the Fall too many American and Jewish High Holidays to contend with. I would love for them to come in Feb when its bleak and cheer me up!

Mom's visit we talked about I think maybe around Thanksgiving? She come here and then we drive back together. Details will be arranged but Mom if that's not doable thats okay too, we can wait till xmas or later if necessary.

And don't forget too, my home is OPEN to all of my friends who ever want to come. Even if I am stuck with exams or whatnots, they will have the keys to come and go and we can always have lunch or dinners together. I owe a bunch of friends my couch to surf on as many have graciously opened their home to me these past 5 years.

Lastly I am THRILLED with my new internet service. No more portable crappy lose-the-signal internet!!! Nope, bye bye, all gone and never to return. I was able to view netflix streaming and hulu shows without choppy, waiting-forever-to load media!!! Whee, w00t, Yay!

2 comments:

Nancy said...

February...... ROAD TRIP!! :D

deafeningchameleon said...

Yay!!!!