Thursday, April 26, 2012

Can one have too many friends?

I am most fortunate when it comes to having friends. It's not because I was super popular all my life. It was because fate has an unusual sense of irony. Growing up I had 1 maybe 2 friends but I was an outkast from K-8th grade. Basically I had no friends and I was bullied and tormented for being Deaf and I recently realize my ADD must also made me stand out even more than just being Deaf (but that's not what my point is all about). Now its and has been for a long time, is that I have too many friends and not enough free time.
As I wrote the other day about my friend wanting more of my attention than I could give. This sentiment has been expressed by a few others and it boggles my mind when someone tells me they don't have many friends. I'm like 'thats impossible! How can that be?' Over the past 6 months or so I realize most people are often lonely, yearning to spend time with someone who's their peer.  And many don't seem to have a wide variety of friends. I on the other hand have so many and I care for a lot of them deeply. Its kind of harder when you're single too. When you're attached you ALWAYS have an excue ready, 'oh sorry I can't. I have to do so and so with my uno numero' or if you have a kid or several, again you have a valid excuse at your fingertips. But when youre like me, everyone thinks, 'oh she's single and doesn't have any kids, she should be able to do X, Y & Z....with me!' Then when I fail to do so, they are disappointed. So maybe I do have a case of too many friends. Oh well I try & hope for the best

No comments: