Monday, October 09, 2006

Outrageous!

I couldnt believe one of the insurance quotes I got for individual health ins. They wanted between $600-$750 a MONTH!! Hello, thats a little less than I spent on the school's health ins which was approx $900 per 6 months. I have decided that my best plan of action is to keep a list of free clinics I can go to on as need to basis and just pay for the rxs myself as its cheaper than the actual insurance! You better believe I will be taking my multi-vitamins this year! I have never had consistent health insurance anyways, the only time I was given ins was when I was a student attending ungrad and grad school and for 1 1/2 years of my 3 years employment at MSD. So living without health ins is not new. If I could find a low-cost rxs plan, that would be ideal to help lessen the prices for my prescriptions. The Tin Man is looking into that for me today.

This weekend I went to 2 different workshops with King. We met up at 7 30am on a saturday morning, both bleary eyed and dragging our arses to the workshops. I really liked the guest speaker, who is from Long Island. I would love for her to come to my school and give a lecture for the TC ASL Club (Hint hint, Rusty-).

Got the most adorable pictures from Ronnie and her cutie pie Averi! I think Averi looks more like Hoswer than Ronnie. I sure do miss that gal!!

Saturday night when I got home. I realized after frantically searching for my apt keys that I didnt have them! In my morning rush to get out in time to meet King, I mustve forgotten them. Worse yet my roomie was out on a job (flying the friendly skies of what airline, unknown) and only Blondie/Cain as well as the Tin Man have the spare keys. Luckily for me my Sweetie came by from working on his cars and let me in. We hung for a bit but I went to bed at 7pm. I was behind in my sleep all week! I only woke up for 2 hrs on Sat nite and then slept in till 930am yesterday morning. Spent the morning cleaning before the Tin Man came by. We went out for Sushi and walked around a little. Basically we just watched some movies and worked on our own projects, mine was logging footage, his was setting up his wireless business.

I wanted to post the replies I ve gotten so far in regards to the Gally Protest. Here's the automatic reply from Senator Clinton;

Thank you for your e-mail. It is very important to me to know the issues
that are of concern to you. A growing number of my constituents are now
choosing to communicate with me via e-mail. I hope you will understand
that, because of the volume and range of e-mails I receive, it can take
some time to send a response that specifically addresses the subject
raised in your message. I do, however, want to let you know immediately
that your message has been received. Hearing from you and others through
e-mail helps me to quickly learn the views and interests of New Yorkers
and others, which is very helpful to me in my work in the United States
Senate. I hope you will continue to monitor my work through my website
at http://clinton.senate.gov, and I welcome hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton


Now does that mean anything, who knows? This one is from Schumer

Thank you for your e-mail. Each and every piece of correspondence I receive
is important because it allows me to better understand the New Yorkers I
serve in the United States Senate.
As you can imagine, my office receives a great number of messages
every day regarding a variety of issues – this is particularly true of
e-mails. It makes me proud to know that my constituents take an active role
in our government by corresponding with me, and I look forward to
responding to your concerns in greater detail. In the meantime, I just
wanted to let you know that your e-mail has been received, and to ask for
your patience until I send you a more detailed response.
Again, thank you for writing. Please feel free to visit my website
http://schumer.senate.gov to follow my work in the Senate and to learn more
about the services my office can provide to you.
Warmest regards


Hmm, like my Sweetie says, if Gally's Protest makes the NY Times, then I King and JKF are truly up the "shit creek!"

One last thing before I go, the term Tent City usually refers to a location of homeless people such as it was back in the day in NYC Central Park, called Hooverville. According to Virtual NYC Hooverville is as followed;

Hooverville is a term describing a series of villages that appeared following the Great Depression in the United States from 1929 through the 1930s and 1940s. These villages were often formed in desolate areas or unpleasant neighborhoods and consisted of dozens or hundreds of shacks and tents that were temporary residences of those left unemployed and homeless by the Depression. The government did not officially recognize these Hoovervilles and occasionally removed the occupants for technically trespassing on private lands.
The word "Hooverville" is a spin on the last name of the 31st President of the United States during the beginning of the Depression, Herbert Hoover. Some of the men who were forced to live in these conditions possessed building skills and were able to build their houses out of stone. Most people, however, resorted to building their residences out of box wood, cardboard, and any scraps of metal they could find. Some individuals even lived in watermains.


According to Wikipedia, Tent City means;

The term tent city has been used for temporary settlements made of tents, such as the beginning of Anchorage, Alaska. As a proper noun, it now is also used for series of organized encampments of homeless people in the greater Seattle, Washington, USA area.

Now whether or not GUFSSA protestors were aware of this or if they intentionally chose the name "Tent City" is questionable. In one respect, I could see why they would choose it as most Deaf people do not earn a lot of money and are often not in a position of power so not unlike the homeless people. Or the fact that "no one cares" in the real world is also a possibility of this term being used at Gally. In a way this whole protest does leave many deafies feeling without a home base which was Gallaudet, but now we can't even rely on Gallaudet to represent us fairly. I am proud of all the deafies standing their grounds! JKF has to GO!

No comments: