Monday, April 04, 2011

How reasonable am I?

Could my new urban view be any
better than this? I LOVE my new
apartment! I can MOVE around and not run
into things like walls. Amazing, Jack & I can
now enter the bed on our respective sides.
Such a difference. I used to not like a lot
of space but now I feel the opposite. The
ability to move around in a home was
more important than I realized. Live and
learn eh?

The move at 1st did not go well. I did get
into an argument with one of the movers
about the fee of the move. I just wouldn't
accept his outrageous prices after being
told via email the original price.
At one point he asked to speak to my
"husband" [Jack] who had already left
to transfer all of our vital electronics
to the new apartment. I told the man he
has to work with me. He said I wasn't
being reasonable and I replied, "how
can I be to your unreasonable actions,
backing out of the original agreement."
He kept pointing to the email which were
in chronological order and trying to make
it seemed his new rate quote was based
on a 2nd email but it wasn't true, it was
on the 1st email and so what if I forgot
2 items in the 2nd email. In the 2nd
email I also added that I knew I was
forgetting things but the rate quote
was given after the 1st email. I
am so stubborn I threatened to
cancel the move. I gave him a price
I was willing to pay for x amount of
service. I felt like all he could see on
my forehead was the word Sucker!
10 minutes later he agreed.

It was more than the original rate quote
but it was fair because I had more things
for them to move that wasn't in the 1st
email. Plus they had to hike a queen size
up 5 flight of stairs because the elevator
wasn't big enough. The move after we
agreed on the moving price went very well.
I offered them both bottled water in the
middle of the move. The movers seemed
surprised after me standing my grounds
earlier. I think they thought I was very
angry but I wasn't. I was firm about how
"reasonable" id be. They appreciated it
and I thanked them for a good job.

2 comments:

naancy said...

you sounded much nicer than i was with the speedometer guy. good for you.

deafeningchameleon said...

Speedometer guy? For the gas bill???
-DC