Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Boycott the circus!

I got on the NJ transit train today to find
the seats covered with flyers for Ringling
Bros & Barnum Bailey circus is in town. UGH!
I am against the circus bc of the fact they
are notorious for animals abuse. Did you know
when you see elephants standing that's due
to how the trainers train em. You know how?
By hitting the poor elephants with a heavy
object to their knees till they finally stand.
Its not natural for them to stand on their
legs. I think its horrible the circus relies so
much on the animals to bring in their revenues.

Speaking of animals, the other day as Jack
and I passed 60TH ST (near the Lincoln
Center) going east we passed Central Park
where there were lines of horse drawn
carriages. Ugh, again another example of
humans prying on innocent animals to make
a living. Those poor horses, being forced to
walk around a polluted car fumes-ridden city
in all kinds of weather just so tourist can
experience the "novelty" of what I consider
animal abuse. Jack summed it up well as we
passed these horses "they sure don't look
happy." Well would you, being force to
work day in and out, wearing horse blinders,
inhaling fumes and dealing with the driver
and their whip, reins!

Well today I will hand out the midterms for
my undergrad students. I hope I am not ex-
pecting too much? I have the midterm divided
into 2 sections. The 1st section is the videos,
where students will be paired up and they will
create 2 dialogues, do physical descriptions
and contrastive sentences with why's. The
2nd part will be based on their videos in a
Q&A format, the videos will be shown and
the students will answer questions related to
the videos for reception skills. If any ASL
teachers are reading this, pls lmk if you think
I'm expecting too much or is this reasonable?

Lastly Keri has started a new blog called
ASL Junkies, a Think Tank for us Deafies,
Signers to brainstorm new ideas for needed
signs that do not exist in ASL. Boy I couldn't
agree more. One area I find lacking BIG time
is Astronomy. I mean how many times can
a person use the sign for STAR to represent
the numerous abstract as well as iconic
ideas found in deep space. The sign for
EARTH/PLANETS/GEOGRAPHY, plus
SUN, and MOON are the only known signs
I know of, besides HEAVEN/SKY. I want
to be able to discuss Quasars, Black Holes,
Solar Flares, Craters, Orbit.... Not have to
spend the entire time fingerspelling aka
The Rocherster Method sucks for
deep discussions. So I applaud Keri for
starting this site up!

What else is new? Well Jack has been sick
with an ear infection and I took a nasty fall
on Monday when my shoe came flying off
as I was running to catch the train, and I flew
down onto the sidewalk pavement with my
knee and shoulder breaking my fall. Ouch!
At first I thought my knee was ok, just my
hand and 1 finger hurt from the scrape of the
fall but by the time I got home I was limping.
Missed work Monday nite, and hobbled
around yesterday student teaching. Today it
feels a lot better but still some swelling
and as time passes, the knee becomes more
and more sore... The nurse said I don't need to
see a doctor but simply use RICE and wait
for time to heal it. So tonight I will miss 1
more day of media service work. Unfortunately
that job requires a lot of walking, stairs and
pushing carts, a big No No for moi!

Cain seems to be staying out of town 1 more
week, which works for Jack and me. We haven't
had much luck with apts. I'm amazed by how
many scammers post apt ads simply to
obtain your information such as emails,
some are bold enough to ask for ssn!
Puhleeze! As if I would give it out over email!
Some of the stories in these scammers
replies include absurd stories like "my wife
and I are missionaries and plan to re-
locate to South Africa and are excited we
found someone to take over the apt..."
Another one talks in details about how
you should explain how you would keep the
apt clean? Then adds a sob story about the
"renter" being in the hospital... Lame. Ignore
these ads if you're looking! And I agree
with Jack, if the ads have NO PICTURE
its more than likely a scam. Sad but true!

No comments: