Monday, March 10, 2008

Where do I start???

Hmm so much to write about, the past week has been very exciting for me. Jack and I found a darling little 1 bedroom uptown (just above 125th st).. We're located in the middle of it all (between the 2/3 trains, the 4/5/6 train) as well as the fact that my apt is on the west side, but cross the avenue I live off of, you're now on the east side. So as you can see, I am truly in the middle in all directions. The apt appliances are all brand new, new floors, paint job etc etc.. And its quite affordable *whew!* We hope to move in by the end of the week. Really its only a matter of when we can get Jack's futon/bed there for us to sleep on. I'm just so excited because this is the 1st apt of MINE in a LONG-ass time! Technically its OURs but no longer do I have to bend over meeting my "roommates" needs in fear of being kicked out because theyre the lease holder and I'm not. It made me feel very powerless as back in MD I always was on the lease so it was an adjustment when I moved to NYC knowing I was not able to get a place in my name.

Ironically last Thursday as I was on my way to meet Jack to look at our apt for the 1st time (Jack had seen it the night before and raved about it) so I was done student teaching and headed uptown on the 6 train when I saw this handsome couple sitting across from me. The train didn't have many passengers so there wasn't much to look at. But the more I looked at the man, the more familar he looked to me. I couldn't help but wonder if it was the famous magician David Blaine? He was wearing sunglasses, but I could see his eyes barely through the lens. He always has this "deadpan" eyes that look right into you, I've noticed that on tv. So I go from 23rd st, to 42nd (I planned to switch to the express 4/5 train) and as I started to exit the train and passed the couple I spoke "Sorry for staring so much, you look like the magician David Blaine." And he replied "That's because I am." at first I wasn't sure cuz no hearing aid (lost it since I was packing for the move, somewhere in a box in storage). But then I realized it really was him so I exclaimed "well now, I am gonna wait till 59th st to change to the express!" and promptly sat back down across from them, grinning from ear to ear. He beckoned me to sit next to him and pulled out an unopened deck of cards. He then did like 4 or 5 different card tricks, he had me choose a card which I picked as the 8 of club (8 is my lucky nbr because it represents infinity). As we neared 59th st, I thanked him for his time and told the couple I hope I didn't intrude but they were most gracious. His girlfriend was gorgeous and I think its the model Josie that hes been dating for the past few years but I could be wrong? He was totally cool about me being deaf. He handed me a card which had a spade on it, and I thought it was one of those standard joker cards that come in all decks of cards. I was surprised because I figured he would give me the 8 of clubs since most of his tricks involved that. But when I went to his website I realized the significance of his card. Its his logo (db for david blaine) as you can see from my pictures. How cool is that! When I exited the train at 59th st, I felt so weak, very tired. Now you may think I am loopy, I know Blondie does when it comes to ESP but I swear to you, I was drained after meeting him and I had to wonder what it all means? I read on his website he is preparing for a new stunt, man the last few were quite amazing, remember last year I think it was, he was frozen in ice at the Rockfellar Center? I can't wait to see his next major performance and I promised myself, it is something that takes place here, I will go!

What else is new, last Saturday the girls and I met up to work on some art projects. It was so nice to see them and just be with my friends ya know? Next week is spring break. I thought I would be off from all of my jobs but I found out today, thats not true. My student teaching is still on for next week but not my 2 jobs at the college level. Bleah I was hoping for the free time off but its ok, I can use the hours for student teaching. Besides we're now focusing on making movies with the middle school kids, totally my forte!

No comments: