Monday, February 16, 2009

The white man's prices

My uncle David was telling me over the weekend that he had read or is reading the book by Obama "Dreams From My Father" where he was visiting I think Africa and when he went to buy something, the man tried to charge him more than he would've the locals or another words a white man's prices. Perhaps Obama isn't considered Black enough just like the American Jews are often considered by Israelis not to be Jewish enough. Ironically yesterday I was walking home and saw a cute winter hat that I think Baba and Jack would've approve of. When I inquired how much it would cost, the man replied $15.00. I was like huh? First of all this is Harlem, where hats are usually 5 bucks. Granted the man wanted me to buy the set of hat and scarf (the scarf was so wimpy and probably from the dollar store). I shouldn't have been asked to pay more than $7 or $8 bucks so I walked. I figured they think I am lost or a tourist. Not someone who lives only a few blocks away. How I wish I could do a sociology experiment where someone of color had went to the same stand and inquired about that hat. How much they would've wanted to charge them. You know how I know I was being charged a white person's prices? Because when I told the guy flat out it was a rip off he asked his partner about the price and his partner gave me a look over in which he thought I had "sucker" written on my forehead. No siree, not this chick. Let them scam someone else.

Anyhoo, I had a wonderful visit with my family. They arrived at 6pm, poor them, they got stuck in traffic on a Friday night. But I was glad they made it okay. We went out to Zoma's for Ethopian and met up with Eddie and Blondie. The food wasn't so bad this time around. I pretty much liked the beef the best. Its funny how as I get older my taste buds have expanded. I mean in my early 20s if it wasn't American, Chinese or Italian (Pizza really) I wouldn't eat it. But then I incorporated Thai in my mid 20s. Then in my late 20s I started to like Vietnamese food because one of my clients was from Vietnam and used to make me delicious Vietnamese food. Then when I moved to NYC, Blondie got me to like Indian food. Now I can add Ethopian to my list :)

Saturday we had planned to go to the Science museum in Queens but the damn 7 train wasn't working and the bus to Flushing, Queen would've taken too long. We quickly scrambled for an alternative course of action and decided to go to Fao Schwartz toy store. I got a snowman puzzle that is actually globe like structure. After that we went to the Folk Art Museum where Nancy could check out the quilts (she's a hardcore quilter herself). Bobby did not want to go. Apparently when he was younger as a punishment, Nancy would drag him to a fabric store and he's since been scarred. Luckily there was a 4 floor Barnes and Nobles nearby. Later that night we went back home and they had brought steaks to make for dinner. David cooked the steaks up and it was sooooo good. I felt spoiled!

Yesterday I was not able to accompany them to the Bronx Zoo because I had 2 subjects coming in for my thesis research at TC. I got to TC with only minutes to spare and realized I had left home my mini dv for the video camera. I started to freak! Then I remembered one of the computer labs here have Imacs which have Isights (built in webcams) and I used quicktime for the recording. My first subject was a real sweetheart from NYU. She had no problem with the experiment and I was thrilled it worked as I had planned. Its always the 1st subject thats nerve wrecking because you don't know how well it will go but it went fine. My 2nd subject, a guy who ironically only lives 2 blocks away came but he did not qualify for my research as he had only been learning ASL for 2 weeks. I came home and was surprised to find Bobby on the couch playing a video game on a psp. It turns out that Nancy got back too late from Church to be able to go to the Zoo as it closed at 4:30pm (probably due to the fact it gets dark earlier this time of year). I asked if he was disappointed and he said yes but he didn't seem like it. I really enjoyed having them with me for the weekend. They are so easy-going and just roll with the punches. They seem just as happy to hang around and read or watch movies or use the laptop.

Now they are probably on the road back home as I type this. The apt tonight will seem empty without them there. Thank you guys for coming to visit me, you're welcome back any time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh, jenny, you are so dear. we had a wonderful weekend! the ethiopian was really good and your friends are so nice. the quilt show was worth the walk. we have done a great deal of touristing and hanging out with you is just as fun. the trip home was totally uneventful, except when we stopped to eat we sat across the aisle from a loud freak who thinks more kids are killed by dogs and washing machines than by handguns. thank you for having us!!
heart,
nd&b

Anonymous said...

p.s. people are always looking for a chump. back in the 1940s-50s when my pop traveled alone, out in tuscon, motel owners would try to get him to pay on-season rates during the off season because they thought he didn't know the difference. after he made a stink he got the rate he wanted.

deafeningchameleon said...

Nancy
I had such a good time, I was in a good week all week bc of your visit last weekend. I cant wait to see you all again over my spring break (mid-march)
I have your towels, will wash and bring them to Lancaster too
xx
love
me