Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Dear Netflix....

I am so sick of netflix this humongous corporation that has the monetary means to provide closed captioning for all of their consumers including us deafies when watching online videos. Slowly network stations such as ABC, NBC... etc., etc are offering this option and I am over the moon with Hulu.com with their willingness to caption programs (not all, but I hope that will change in the near future.)

So I went to netflix and tried to find a way to contact them by email to no avail. I decided, the hell with this, I am contacting public relations and they can take care of this or forward to the appropriate person. But I wasn't kidding, I may seriously sue them.

This is my letter to netflixs PR;

To whom it may concern.
I have been a member of netflix for the past several years and I am deaf. I was not able to find a way to speak to a company rep other than this form as I am deaf and making phone calls are difficult.
I am writing to request that netflix start offering closed caption options when viewing instantly online. Hulu.com offers this and they are a smaller company than Netflix so I know that $$ isn't the issue. I have seriously considered hiring an attorney to sue netflix for discrimination under the ADA law under Title IV - telecommunication standards, including relay services for people with hearing and speech disabilities and closed captioning.
There is NO reason why netflix doesn't provide this option to use deaf consumers. If I have contacted the wrong dept or person, pls fwd to your legal dept.
I appreciate your time in regards to this matter

Now if you are reading this, take a minute to email them too by going here. The more we email them and SPEAK UP, the less our equal rights will fall on deaf corporate ears!

1 comment:

Danny Geiger said...

I have same problem. You can call netflix with your service code so you won't wait too long if you have netflix account