Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Free Time? What's That?

Early at media services today, Blondie and I were commiserating about much pressure we've experienced in the past several weeks due to our thesis projects. I came in at noon which is early for me, I admit I was grouchy because I hate functioning after 6 hours of sleep. To some people sleeping for 6 hours is like being in a coma, they're tell me they feel physically awful if they sleep a minute past 6 hours! But to me 6 hours of sleep constitutes as a nap. Its my own fault for not going to bed earlier. I am like my Uncle David, you have to physically make me turn off the TV/movie/internet or I will go on all night from one episode to the next. I tell myself, after this one ends, I'll go to bed but then I will start a new one. Ach, its part of the ADD which both me and David have. When my uncle David and I do FOCUS, we can churn out some seriously awesome stuff. But if we are sleep deprived, forget it, we're no good for the rest of the day. Seriously it will take me several hours to become functionable, if I haven't had at least 8 hours of sleep. Actually 9 hours is my minimum to perform at a top-notch rate.

Poor Blondie I was annoyed at her because I had emailed her repeatedly about a subject we had talked about the night before and she didn't reply so I got myself together, and headed to work. It turned out to be a misunderstanding on both of our parts and I told her I was sorry for being so crabby. I felt bad because she looked upset but she explained to me that wasn't the case. But rather she was tired. Blondie was in a daze all day today. The kind where and I quote her, you wake up in the morning and you're [very] quiet. I know exactly what she means. Everything takes energy and you sometimes need to disconnect or just happen to wake up in a disconnected state. It's kind of like giving your mind a day off. Go through the motions etc etc..but you're quiet.

We both successfully turned in our hard copies of our thesis projects. We had to print it on fancy schmancy 25% cotton paper. Blondie turned hers in before mine because she had to go teach the after school program up in the Bronx. And I was still waiting on the greenlight from Rusty to print mine. When I finally did I joked to Mr. Coffee and Virgie at work "Hot off the press! Hot off the press!" They both clapped me on as I left the office to go upstairs to Rusty's. (By the way things between Mr. Coffee and I are a lot better!) I was so excited to hand it over to Rusty. He asked if I will be going out to dinner with the rest of the people he invited from our program next week Wednesday. I said yes.

I also graded most of my students final exam videos today. A lot of them are so darn creative! I am very pleased with their work and semi bias too. Why? I am a filmmaker, so I am a sucker for a story line and effort to perform on camera. That doesn't necessarily mean I cannot assess their work or skills but I am happy with the results.

Oh yeah I almost forgot, I spoke with the company today. (the one I felt like was bullying me). The VP call with the company's rep went well. Nice woman, we both took turns telling our side of the story and that helped a lot. To give each other the our pov. In the end, I have agreed to their terms. Am I 100% happy about it? No, but I am not miserable either. The people who could've of fought this did not rise up to the occasion. (I later found out was the fact they had ties between themselves and the company-which explains a lot!) I decided as Baba & K said, it wasn't worth fighting for. I agree, this wasn't my brainchild, I just happen to be here when it fell into my lap. I don't mind though because the people who work with me in terms of this issue are a good group and we will be fine.

2 comments:

nancy said...

Flaming-bug-eyed-radioactive-happy-bappy Congratulations from us all!!

Heart, heart,

Nancy David and Bobby

deafeningchameleon said...

Aww thank you
I am looking forward to seeing you all in June and to meet Bobby's new gf!!!!
xx
me