Thursday, June 10, 2010

Taxes & Death

The 2 things they say you can never escape from. But I think laundry should somehow be to the list there too!

So I just got back from having my taxes done at a place not too far away. My friend Virgie who's a real sweetheart referred me to this place and I am GLAD she did! It was a small office with about 4-5 workers and I felt taken care of in terms of my taxes being filed. My hearing aid just broke out of the blue so I brought a pad of paper and pen for my preparer to be able to write to me as I couldn't read his lips at all. I of course replied in spoken English. He has to check a few things more because some of my wages were from out of state and it complicates things. But all in all I will be getting a good size federal tax refund and I don't owe nearly as much to the state as I thought I did, whew! I am glad I filed for tax extensions last April 15th. I will deAfinitely use these people again next spring. Worth it.

So last weekend during our visit to PA again, we (Jack & I) watched a lot of "end of the world"
scenarios. I am a junkie for those kinds of movies. Don't know why but it fascinates me to no end to watch stories about plagues, comets/meteors hitting earth, volcano eruptions, ice age, terrorist attacks, tsuamia, alien/creatures takeovers, biological/chemical attacks and so on and so on. What fascinates me is how the destructions annihilates land, town, cities. Especially cities! And of course a lot of them are based in NYC so I actually recognize some locations/areas. Same for DC. Never in my deepest desires do I wish to experience these horrific incidents in real life. But lucky for me my mind can vicariously wonder at how I would react to these terrible situations. Would I survive? Would I want to? What are my survival odds in said scenarios? I
recall wondering if an A-bomb went off near me like in the Terminator movies, what would it feel like to be cremated on the spot? My ex said it would be almost instantaneous that my brain wouldn't have time to process it. But what about the fear I would experience such as in the movie Deep Impact (still one of my all time favorites!) and Tea Loni standing with her father seeing a mile(s) high tidal wave angrily approaching them? Crashing down on them? The brain is a weird thing, or at least mine is, at the ideas we mull over.

So anyhoo, lets do a quick review of the most recent movies watched;

"The Road" where its a matter of survival was depressing as ill get out! Yes its does keep you interested but after seeing GRAY most of the movie it feels disheartening. I guess that's what the director was aiming for and he succeeded. The cannabalism scenes was scary and GOOD! Gave me the heebie jeebies that these movies ought to do!

The other one was called "The Happening." It was more of a plague type of movie and it starts off feeling like a bad B movie and somewhere along the way it gets better. There are some scenes, wow, especially one involving folks jumping off the roofs and a construction worker looks up to see it raining people...hmm made me think of 9/11 at the towers and nearby WTC buildings. Its a fun movie to watch and feels like the kind of movie made for tv rather than big screen. It got mixed reviews, for the serious critics the movie fall short but for those of us who have a sense of humor and don't mind the campy vibe this movie stands on its own two feet just fine and worth watching again.

Another movie not related to the end of the world but rather in my mind the best Stephen King book based films called Dolores Claiborne from 1994, it is one of my all times favorite feminists (yes I consider it to be a feminist movies) starring Kathy Bates. I qued it from netflix brought the DVD to share with Baba because I had a feeling she'd love it as much as I did. Of course at 1st she was skeptical with the opening scene and the fact it was based on a story by Stephen King but by the end she was hook, line and sinker! There were so many good lines from this movie but this is one of my ultimate favorites by the character name Vera to Dolores;

It's a depressingly masculine world, Dolores...Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

Other favorites uttered by Vera;

Husband
s die every day, Dolores. Why... one is probably dying right now while you're sitting here weeping. They die... and leave their wives their money. I should know, shouldn't I? Sometimes they're driving home from their mistress' aparment and their brakes suddenly fail.

Don't we
have a hair across our ass this morning Delores Claiborne?

[to Dolores, who is hanging her sheets to dry] Six pins, Dolores! Six pins, not five!

[Vera is not letting Dolores change her soiled sheets]
Vera, are ya gonna sit there and maranade in it? Come on!

These quotes are from Dolores to the detective investigating Vera's death;

Now, you listen to me, Mr. Grand High Poobah of Upper Buttcrack, I'm just about half-past give a shit with your fun and games.

Detective- I'm sorry, but I think it's for the best if you got yourself some legal representation.

Dolores-You're sorry, are you? Bet the last time you were sorry was when you needed to use the pay toilet and the string on your pet dime broke.

Seriously the BEST!

In other news, I am officially done working as of Tues!!!! It didn't really kick in till today I have a strange thing now. Its called free time...wow, very nice. I also got the job for sure in Maine for the 1 week literacy camp, whee! as Ronnie likes to say. I am very excited about my upcoming plans.

Tmw is my 1st day with Jack without any work and he doesn't have any classes. We HAVE TO do something fun. Lately its been all work on both of our ends.

Saturday I will hang with Ellie and play some Dingo. Then head downtown to see my DB friend and spend the night. We have the ungodly pleasure of taking a 7:45am bus to Baltimore this Sunday. Seriously it should be a crime to have to be anywhere early on the weekends! Then its the 1 week Deafblind camp.

Life is good.

1 comment:

Nancy said...

Grand High Poobah of Upper Buttcrack? heeheehee!!