Thursday, August 12, 2010

My inner metal head!

Last Sunday my inner metal head came out to play. Paula came by and drove us to Middletown/Hummelstown to visit an old friend name Adam (pronounce Ad-Damn!) Man, I hadn't seen that mofo in like 15 years or more! We showed up for their band practice, talk about walking into a time portal and being transported back to the late 80s! The band members are all still metal heads and in to death metal. The standard requirements are the same, drinking beers, smoking marlboros, swearing and riding motorcycles or driving cool cars still exist and apply today. I saw leather boots, death metal tees, ripped jeans and so on. It made me want to go out and buy a bunch of tees with Guns-N-Roses and Metallica logos (and yes to death metal fans, I realize these guys are more hair bands than hard core metal bands!) but I am a girl and we love hair bands and cute lead signers like Brett Michaels from Poison or Sebastian Back from Skid Row.

I truly thought this breed had died off boy was I wrong. My metal head radar must have dimmed after being in NYC for the past 6 years. It was so much fun to be there and just chillax with old friends. Paula is so much fun to be with and I just enjoy her company immensely. As different as we are, we are still both the same, even after 24 years of friendship. We drank beer and listen to them play and they were kick-ass! I had no idea Ad-Damn could sing so good. They did a lot of cover band songs. I really liked their version of Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire song.

Being with the band brought flashbacks of the days when Wayne's World was popular and everyone was citing quotes like

Party on Wayne/Party on Garth

Schwing!


Exsqueeze me? A baking-powder? [for excuse me, I beg your pardon]

No Stairway, denied!

Benjamin is nobody's friend. If Benjamin were an ice cream flavor, he'd be pralines and dick.

Yesterday was my birthday and for the 1st time ever, it snuck up on me. See normally I start talking about my birthday in May, 4 months prior but this year was different. I don't know how or why I wasn't as excited. It's a very weird feeling indeed. Nonetheless, Baba and Jack brought me this awesome peanut butter pie and champagne. Exactly what I wanted. It was a low keyed birthday and that was fine by me. On the 21st, Nancy (my aunt) and I will have a joint bday party (her bday is the 20th) with the whole family. I am looking forward to that a lot. But I wanted to give a special thanks to both Baba & Jack for yesterday. And to my sweet Mom who gushed I was lucky she didn't call me at 10:22am (the time I was born) to wish me a wonderful birthday. I joked to her, even if she had called at 10:22am, I wouldn't have heard the phone ha ha ;-)

Lastly, a funny tidbit I wanted to share; you see I was using relay earlier today to call Con Edison to dispute my bill ($114 for 1 month is insane and not possible since neither Jack and I have been there in weeks!) anyhoo the relay operator typed the recording "Hi, you have reached Khan Edison..." ha ha Khan! Yeah its true, this ruthless leader Khan Edison is ripping me off financially!

No comments: