Tuesday, July 08, 2014

Home cooked meals go a long way

Recently it dawned on me how meaningful it is when someone else cooks for you. Especially when you're not well enough to cook for yourself. I am always thrilled when Blondie or  Mama Racoon cook me something delicious! They're both such good cooks! Since I live alone compounded with the years of cooking for a man who never appreciated it I've lost my desire to be anything other than a lazy and simplistic cook. The crockpot is one of my closet friends in the winter time. I also try to cook enough go something to get at least 3 meals or more out of. I admit it's a small pet peeve of mine to be asked to cook specific foods like cookies for a cookie party! Ugh no thank you, two years ago I bagged the cookies and made Jell-O shots which were a hit. Better I make something I can't f*ck up like for Blondies 4th of July party recently which might I add was a lot of fun I made deviled eggs. But when I made the coconut cookies, the same ones Mama Racoon and I made a few weeks ago, my cookies while good did not come out like they did for Mama Racoon. Grr I chalk it up to the fact I added more flour and baked the dough that had been refrigerated plus I didn't flatten it with a spoon. No matter they were still tasty. Mama Racoon was proud of my attempt. I explained to her once I used to love baking when I was age 10 I think? Used to bake all the time. I just lost my zeal for it.
I relate so much to my grandmother when it comes to the monotony of mass produced and may I add bland choices of food. Living in the dorms during my high school years  where your only food options was in the cafeteria I know how it become drudgery. The secret of course is to order out once in a while which I know she does. But also for family to cook fresh meals too or bring pre-made. When I am there for longer than a few days I try to cook something I know we will both enjoy because my grandmother is worth the effort and it makes us both happy to eat well.
My newest food obsession for the past year or so has been
Kiwis
Chai seeds
Quinoa
And eating more food that is gluten free as several friends of mine maintain a gf diet. That's fine by me :)

No comments: