Sunday, July 06, 2014

Fibromyalgia is....

Feeling crummy right now but not so much physically but mentally. After spending nearly two straight years of chronic pain along with several decades of various pains and ailments from an unknown source that came and went... I'm finally not in constant pain. However I've left with zip energy and feeling weak.
I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia a month ago and given nortriptyline to take a low dosage at bed time. It has helped tremendously with the chronic intense debilitating at times pain but not without side effects. In the beginning, the headaches were so bad. Originally I chalked up the headaches to be from my usual arsenal of maladies. But nope after investigating other users reviews online that the headaches from hell can be one of the nasty side effects while the body adjusts to the medication.
I suffered a lot from the side effects while working a less than ideal schedule these past few weeks. Basically I was stuck at my job for 12 hours days which was just bad timing with me trying to get the pain level under control so I could function. With the headaches and fatigue and an overall feelings of being burned out I was kind of miserable at work. I kept myself as busy and distracted as I could in between the classes but it is not an experience I care to repeat.
Also during the weekend I wasn't at all that sociable either. I did see friends here and there but the lack of energy would triumph my desires and I often stayed by myself which is depressing.
But I'm happy that as of the end of next week I have the remainder of my summer off *Deaf hand waves*  And I have slowly begun to tell people I have fibromyalgia and it's been interesting to see their responses. Some have been sympathetic and expressed sorries to me. Others really have no idea what it is or how it affects me. It's not something I told many people. Mostly I've told the those who I share my life with regularly, close friends and of course my family. Obviously on here too that's if anyone still reads this?
My current plan of action is to continue taking this med. Schedule an appointment with a rheumatoid arthritis doctor and get some physically therapy. Mostly so I can build up my strength again. The past 6 months my muscles have atrophied some and that's not acceptable to me. The PT can help me with what exercises I can do and for how many reps to build up my core and get back my strength without causing fibro flare up. But sadly with fibromyalgia that fibro flare ups are bound to happen here and there :/
I've been pretty good the past few weeks at least for avoiding fibro triggers such as cold air blasted on my skin especially for my upper body. And trying not to overdo. Partly reason why I haven't been as sociable is to preserve my strength for work.
Well another piece of good news is I've been much better about washing the dishes, taking out the trash even when I'm tired. That's how much better the pain level is now. I am able to go back to keeping a much tidier apartment again.
Last but not least I cannot wait for later this July to see the Maine gang for Ronnie and Doogie Howser wedding w00t w00t! And of course seeing my family, spending time with friends and giving more attention to the few guys I've gone out on dates with recently :-) dating lately has been interesting and fun but my mind isn't on them rather it's on work and my health.
So at the beginning of this post I was feeling pretty down but now after venting which always helps I feel like okay. Even though my right arm is bad, tingling down to my fingers and I feel like I want to go back to bed but I won't. My neck is achy and my lower back is too That it's okay, I'll do what I can tonight and still feel happy. Because I know tomorrow is going to be a much easier day. And I'm on my way to getting better or at least the fibromyalgia managed :]

No comments: