Sunday, October 02, 2022

Nigel Kamm, Tough As Nails

Talk about coincidences.
While my uncle David was here in town. We decided to binge watch the TV show "Tough As Nails" first season. In I think the 5th episode the contestant Lia Mort mentioned her nephew Nigel committed suicide a while back from being bullied.
I immediately stopped the episode and said to David, could it be the same Nigel, his son Bobby's best friend from my home town who committed suicide in 2008? I mean really? How many Nigels do you know? Sure enough, Lia is from Lititz, PA! Nigel's father Andy owns a record store and was friends with my Mom while I was growing up. I remember Andy had a pet Rat too! https://www.recordconnectionpa.com/ 
Then in elementary school my nephew Bobby became best friends with Nigel! 
I'll never forget I was working in media services at the Teachers College when Baba informed me by text Nigel had died by suicide and there was no warning. Bobby said they rode the bus home and would see each other the next day. Bobby was crushed by his death. 
Evidently uncle David said Nigel was a sensitive soul and an easy target to bully! And Bobby has never quite gotten over losing his best friend in middle school. I sadly never had the chance to meet Nigel, but I heard about him all the years he and Bobby spent together.
I still think of Nigel every Thanksgiving because it occurred shortly after Thanksgiving before Christmas in 2008.
It was so nice to see and hear Nigel's name immortalize by the TV show. Now millions of people know Nigel's name and how his life mattered to his family, his aunt Lia and my family and many others! 
And now you too become a witness, a testimony of Nigel's impact on the world. 
We need to say their names, the ones who died at their own hands. They are not forgotten! Remember his name, Nigel Kamm!

https://www.snyderfuneralhome.com/obituary/nigel-sage-kamm/ 

https://lancasteronline.com/obituaries/nigel-sage-kamm/article_3b6da650-4b88-5bbe-8679-6e6bc9c5b03f.html 

No comments: