Thursday, December 07, 2006

Pumpkin Chunkin Time!

I recently learned from Ricky's blog that Gil Eastman died last Sunday of Cancer, more can be read at DeafTimes . He was well known in the Deaf Community but I only knew of him as one of the co-host of Deaf Mosiac, a deaf news show that covered various events all over the world. Well back in 92' my Physic from MSSD entered a Pumpkin Chunkin Event in Deleware, where we spent several months building a wooden catapult kinda like the picture below. My teacher Mary Elsworth, one of the nicest teachers' at MSSD really went the extra mile to secure the supplies we needed and to arrange for us to attend this event which started back in 1986. It was a great experience and my class was divided into three teams. I was the "captian" of my team (no surprise right!). Well guess what? Deaf Mosiac came out to cover our event and we appeared in one of their episodes. To this day people still come up to me, teasing me about seeing me in the video with my hair waving all over the place and my red glasses, and heavy metal tee I was wearing. I would kill to see this video, as I have never seen it and have not been able to locate which episode its in? If anyone knows, pls lmk where to look. Most of the competetion made catapults with metal supplies, my class was the only one to use wood and the event coordinators decided to have us compete among ourselves, my team won! I have no idea how far the pumpkin was toss, I only know that the hat I recieved for my team winning has found a home with my Uncle Robbie who came across it one day and said "Do you use this?" and before I could answer "Yeah you don't use it, let me have it, its a cool hat." So Robbie has the hat, at least its still in the family :)

How well do you know where all the states are? Try this test.

Just finished grading my student's final exams, now am off to meet with my supervisor to discuss their grades.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I could enlarge that picture of you at MSSD. Can you tell me how?
Love you,
Baba

deafeningchameleon said...

Hi Baba
there is no picture with me in it, I got them from the Google Images, so the one in the classroom is of other students :)
love
me

Unknown said...

Brings me back to this moment. Had great time with the team building this and making it happen. It was one of my best memories at mssd. Today i build chinooks at boeing for our america to help soliders and the people in places that needs help, which chinook can go where other machines cannot. This experience helped me direct my goals and my future to become reality.