Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Car Sex

Saw this on the net and thought it was hilarious!

This past weekend was a rough one for Jack and me. Sometimes we get along so well, and other times we're each other's worst enemy. Relationships are hard work and never-ending. I won't go into specifics but I do know things need to change in order for us to have a happy future together. We've both been under a lot of stress. And instead of being supportive with one another, we've been lashing out at one another. Not good. I feel bad for my behavior and I vow to work on that and my approach to other people when I am stress.

Last night I watched Real Life Divas on BET channel. It was a good episode about a woman name Susan L. Taylor who started the National Cares Mentoring Movement. She spoke of her life, about her own Mother and about how she was as a mother and wife. She said something that struck me as a nugget of gem, "always keep tenderness alive in your relationships. Say things gently, in a soft voice." And generally people will respond favorably to that. I was just blown away by this woman and plan to look for used books by this woman. I deafinitely consider her to be a role model. She spoke of how the Black community has gone awry but that doesn't mean you give up and walk away. Instead you address the problems head first. You become a part of the solution rather than the problem, totally my motto in life.

Yesterday I worked both jobs, the class last night went well. My students are easy to please and very easy to work with. I am fortunate I got a good class. I've met some ASL teachers who say their classes are terrible. But you know what I think? I think its a reflection on them. As a teacher you have to bring good energy to the class and radiate expectations and be reasonable. I don't like how some ASL teachers are "mean" or "unapproachable" to their students. And I also don't believe in telling my students "English is bad." but instead try to stick to the point which is simply, they are using their 1st language and not the right word order. I try to get my students to focus on word order the usage of topic-comment structure. Rather than say "its too English."

I also accepted my job back at the same University where I taught undergrad students this past year. It will be 2 classes back to back on Mondays and Thursdays evenings. While I know its not full time, I LOVE working there and plan on seeing if Deaf Studies can be added for the following school year '09-'10? Plus Eddie says he can give me up to 25 hrs a week at Media during the fall/spring semester so I may just make enough to get by and have a little money left over. There just doesn't seem to be any FT ASL jobs right now, including LI.

Overall while I am still not feeling super great about the rough weekend, I am feeling better in general and I have to move forward. Life goes on, and no use sitting/living in the past, eh?

No comments: