Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Witch of Wall Street

Sorry for not posting sooner, been job hunting like there's no tmw...

So Jack and I decided to try somewhere new for our 4th of July this year. After some research, we opted for LI Jones Beach State Park's fireworks. It was pretty nice but afterwards was a nightmare. You see Jones beach is a little island next to LI and there are only 2 ways on and off the Island. We were bumper to bumper and didn't even move more than a few inches after almost an hour. What's worse was we were both STARVING and planning to use the applebees gift certificate I won at the MICA auction. Finally after an hour or more of bumper to bumper traffic we got to the restuarant and gorged ourselves stupid. They have a dessert called Blondie brownie and it was GOOD! It came topped with a rich buttery sauce, yummy. My stomach ached afterwards but we wanted to make the most out of the gift certificate. So what should've been a $60+ meal we spent a total of $27 ($20 for the gift certificate and $7 tip). Our waiter was kinda sucky so we gave him just a little over 10% tip, sowwy, lousy service = shitty tips.

I also watched the movie "Trolls" with Noah Hathaway. I remarked to Jack that the kid looked like Atreyu from the Never Ending Story. Sure enough according to the IMDB its the same guy. Made me wondered what he looks like now and found this article. Interesting guy, lots of tattoos now, I guess he wanted to rid himself of the "squeaky clean" image he had growing up.

I also read the book called WEIRD NEW YORK by Chris Gethard and its a great book. One chapter was called Heroes and Villians and I read the most interesting bit about a woman name Hetty Green aka The Witch (er bitch probably) of Wall Street, who was essentially the 1st female billionaire. But she was notorious as a miser. I went to wikipedia to read more and here's an example of what I found out about this woman...

"Her frugality extended to family life. Her son Ned broke his leg as a child, and Hetty tried to have him admitted in a hospital charity ward. When she was recognized, she stormed away vowing to treat the wounds herself. The leg contracted gangrene and had to be amputated – he ended up with a cork prosthesis." - eh, is that cheap or what?! I plan to see if there are any books/biographies on her? I'd be curious to read more, her being a quaker and super rich, what irony...

As many of you know, I LOVE free stuff! I joined a website called mysavings.com
they have a lot of free samples without the bs participation that most free samples or freebies required. Today I found a new website called shop for freebies which also has a great selection. I found one for free hearing aid batteries, go to this energizer bunny site and fill it out for free hearing aid batteries!

I started doing this last March and have acquired quite a lot of free samples of food related stuff, perfume samples, hair care products which are great for traveling! I got a free pedometer, calculator, recipe booklets, stickers, pads, tampons, detergents, temporary tattoos and so on.

Another great link to check out for your favorite stores weekly ads, click here.

Tmw Jack and I head to visit my folks back in PA. Its my nephew's 6th birthday party on Saturday. I can't wait to see everyone. I am fortunate to have such an awesome family!

No comments: