Wednesday, February 22, 2006

Teeny Tiny



















I think I look more like a receptionist or file clerk. Office work in real life *shudders* is not for me.

Here are some field notes I took while waiting for my turn to audition, if you can call it that...

There are a bunch of good looking people. Probably not LA standards but definitely NYC all the way. I think I look shabby next to them. Most of the women are wearing slacks. There's one lady is collecting resume and headshots.
Another girl nearby is studying her lines. Me, nada, gonna just let them know I'm good for background, not leads.
There's one man in the further part of the room that is yammering loudly and people are feigning interest in what he has to say. I only hear his voice, don't got a clue what's he's actually saying...

The audition ratio as follows;
About half guys, half girls.
about half were there for lead roles, the other half like me, wannabe extras
2/3rds are white
The other 1/3rd ethnic or diverse from white bread
Me, I represent the less than 1% of the population, a deafie.

The weird thing is, people keep coming towards me and asking me
info like where the sign in sheet (there isn't one) and whether we will be going in for our auditions as individuals or as a group, (dunno). I think the reason why is I am constantly surverying the room with my eyes to keep in check of whats happening. There s a cute guy next to me, I've asked him 2xs now what the audition man (a short chubby man with a clipboard) says.

One of the message I got from the cutie guy was we are going in groups of 4 into another area. I was in the 3rd group, and in my group, I was the last to audition. I didnt have a fancy black and white head shot and when I went into the room. it reminded me of American Idol. There was a small panel of 4 or 5 young people and I said right off the bat, that I thought this was an extra related gig and that I did not have a monologue ready. Then I added quickly I am DEAF and began sim-comming with the panel saying/signing that perhaps if they want me to do one or two lines, to have me sign them and I represent diversity.

The short chubby guy with the clipboard was also the videographer, he then asked me to look into the camera, say my name and contact info. I said my name and I wasnt sure what the 2nd part was so I asked him "right contact info?" cuz honestly the man did not speak clearly. He was like yeah, so I sounded off my cell nbr and my email addy. That was my audition, yep the whole sheebang. Wish me luck. I think this is a small paying gig, I could use the $$ for the Final Cut Pro editing software I ordered the other day. But seriously I know my chances are teeny tiny (Szymanski is a big fan of this word combo)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

just give jenny the acadamy already and kiss the ground she walks on, bitches.

deafeningchameleon said...

I like to thank all the little people.... *thundering applause*
xo
J