Wednesday, January 21, 2009

All that and then some

Karen's visit went smoothly. Unfortunately it was the COLDest weekend by far. Mostly in the 10s and teens degrees. She arrived last week Thursday and we ate at the nearby diner called Tick Tock right by Penn Station. Then we headed back to my apt. Karen was tired so we stayed in most of the day. We only went out once that evening to a nearby deli where they have awesome BBQ wings!!!

Friday we got up and went to the nearby post office where I had some books waiting to be picked up. We hit the Goodwill on the way back to my apt to get ready to go out later to Little Italy for dinner. That night we went all the way down town looking for a good pizzeria in Little Italy and we came across Pylones which is a great store that takes ordinary objects and "artsified" them. I brought one of the items for Baba for a bday gift. but in a different color. And I also got Jack a cute little bat clock. We found a nearby place and ate pizza and calamri, delicious especially on such a cold night. Afterwards we planned to go to Guggenheim Museum because they have free admissions on Friday night. But when we were done eating Karen said it was too cold and wanted to just go back to my apt and chill out. We ended up watching a lot of movies while she was visitin
Saturday we met up with Blondie, Szymanski and Blondie's friend Jenco at Alice's teacup.


Here's Karen posing for me :)

minutes later the rest of the gang arrives. I just loved Szymanski coat, beautiful and a classic piece. I don't care if she looks like the SuperNanny, that coat was AWEsome! There are more photos, but I am waiting for Jenco to send them to me and I will post them later.

But little did we know when we went inside there would be a 2 hour wait! I had looked up the information for the place online and didn't see any way to make a reservation prior to our visit. I thought maybe 30 minute wait boy was I disappointed. We ended up going around the corner to a different place and ate brunch. It was good to see Jenco, I hadn't seen her in quite a few years. After we ate, we walked over to Dylan's candy store. I just took 1 artsy photo from the 3rd floor of the upperwall/ceiling. Once we were done there, it was time to return to Penn Station so Karen could catch her bus back to DC. I was sad to see her go but it was a pleasure having her with me for those 3 days. We never ran out of things to say and she talked about being engaged to her fiancee, a hearie who is learning ASL because as she told me that he told her "You may not be able to learn how to hear but I can learn how to sign." That's when she knew he was a keeper...

On Monday it SNOWED. I headed to TC to work on my thesis proposal and just loved how pretty and big the snowflakes were as they came down. I decided recently and after meeting with Rusty today not to use the students at the undergrad school where I teach, I don't want to jump through so many hoops just to have the IRB approval, instead I will focus on my TC peers and this weekend I can start planning on how to implement the research. I want to start using subjects in Feb and Blondie and I want to graduate this May together. So we've been harrassing one another to FINISH! Also she got the teaching job at the same University where I teach, yay! I am thrilled for her :-)

No comments: