Thursday, August 16, 2007

All My Children uses ASL

What a GREAT feeling to watch All My Children today (I missed yesterday
due to work, but Jack tivoed it so I will watch it this weekend) today
I'm editing my movie PAWs but wanted to see if any ASL was used in this
episode? Most of the show was basically about Spike (the baby who's deaf
now due to the car accident with his Mom).
Then the last 10 minutes of the show they showed Annie and Ryan sitting
across from each other (good! In deaf culture, you always sits facing
the person you're talking with).

Annie starts off by explaining ASL isn't just signs but involves facial
expression, eyebrow motions and body language. Then she added he should
learn how to fingerspell by learning the ABCs. Ryan (Cameron Mathison),
her husband/bf on the show interrupted her to ask her to show him
quickly how to sign "I Love You"? Annie laughed and then showed him. She
repeated it and then he copied her. It was amazing to know that I taught
these two hearing actors a month ago how to do this. Even tho I was in a
lot of pain that morning due to the kidney infection. Ryan played by
Cameron Mathison, a nice guy. I remember when he came into one of the
dressing rooms the staff had me wait in, I felt so ewww, cuz I was
feeling so lousy and here's this very good looking guy entering and
sitting across from me. I wasn't nervous and it was a short meeting. He
seemed very nice. That's when I taught him the phrase "I love you." That
day I also met the director of AMC. He knew some signs, he signed to me
room (asl way, not with the R to initialize the sign). Apparently he
took some ASL classes in the past. I teased him and said, you know ASL
pretty well, sure you need me? He gushed, adding he only knew very
little.

I was then invited to sit in the rehersal part of Melissa and Ryan,
while he directed and other producers sat at a long table, having me sit
smack dab in the middle. I watched as the actos rehearsed, it was
amazing because when I worked with Annie, her eyes really sparkle, very
upbeat. But as soon as they began to rehearse, her eyes changed! Became
very serious, it was like a switch, so weird. Nothing else changed just
her eyes, not the eyelids or eyebrows just how her eyes shone, amazing.
That convinced me right there and then she truly is a talented actress
who got the ability to change herself from within. As for what was said
in the rehersal, damn if I know. They spoke so softly I hadn't a clue.
Funny one of the other directors/producers asked me a question about
their performance and I told him honestly I couldn't hear a word they
said. He began to scramble around trying to find a copy of the scripts
but I didn't want to burden him so I told him he didn't have to. It was
entertaining enough to watch. Cameron (Ryan on the show) was silly in
between the scenes. Seems like a fun guy to work with. I saw some of the
other cast members and they seem to really enjoy each others company
during the rehersals and makeup/wardrobe. As I was leaving that day I
got a little lost in the maze of offices and dressing rooms. I saw one
of the staff (make up artist or wardrobe) standing so I asked him where
the exit was so I could leave. He gave me a real dirty look of contempt,
replied and quickly turned away. I had no idea what he said but I didn't
appreciate how he was fanning all over the actors and treated me like a
leper! But other than that, it was a great experience. I remember
Melissa (Annie on the show) was very determined to sign ASL correctly
and not do anything that would make her look foolish to the Deaf
community. I was pleased by that. She was a quick study. I remember
teaching her the difference for the sign Love (as in the emotion, I love
you) and Love (as when you dig something like sports- the sign is a fist
to your mouth and you "kiss" the back of your palm moving outwards.) She
digged that sign a LOT.

Today was suppose to go to the DMV with Joe Joy but he got sick so we re
postponing to maybe next Monday? See see

Tonight I have an interview via webcam. Am a little nervous and trying
not to get my hopes up. Cuz the chances of getting this gig and being
paid reasonably remains to be seen.

I am also waiting on a followup on a possible teaching job that pays
pretty well.

Today I will head over to TC to check my emails for any possible job
replies or new job postings.

Not this weekend but the following weekend I will visit the folks back
home for a few days. I'm excited because Mom and I will hit Goodwill to
do some thrift shopping and payless too because Mom wants some new
shoes. Then we will meet up with Aunt Nancy, Bobby and possibly Uncle
David for dinner. I didn't get to see Mom during my last visit because I
was sick. Man last winter I was hardly sick but this summer has been the
opposite and I don't know why? Nyways it will be a fun visit, I always
have a wonderful time with Baba. The only drawback is I will not be in
town for Blondies birthday (on the 25th). I think I will take her out
Thurs the 23rd for dinner and give her a birthday gift (still looking
for the perfect one!)

This Sunday will meet up with Jane and Martin for South Seaport Deaf
Awareness day. Saturday is still up in the air, Jack is planning a nice
date for us that day. I guess its gonna be a surprise?

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow.
Learn as if you were to live forever."
- Mahatma Gandhi

No comments: