Thursday, August 23, 2007

Job interview

Well I had one today for a pre-school on the UWS. I was hoping they
might want me to teach ASL to the kids ages 0-5 yrs old. I was wrong.
The minute I walked in the "school" I was immediately not getting good
vibes. I saw several staff members arrive and by the way they dressed
and their ages, being young 20s I knew the pay would be shit. Prior to
this interview the school had my resume through email but upon my
arrival I was asked to fill out an application. That also spoke volumes
to me on the pay scale. As I sat there filling out the application and
the questionnaire that had questions like "if a parent was rude to you,
how would you respond." "The X School doesn't believe in time out, what
would you do if a child was misbehaving?" Etc., etc... I saw strollers
about, baby photos on the ways, finger paint drawings hung up. Ugh, this
means diaper duty and vomit clean up if it happens while I'm on the
clock.

After I finished the nonsense paperwork, I was called back and met the
big boss lady. She was nice. She explained that they have 2 shifts. 1st
is 830am to 130pm. 2nd is 130pm to 730pm. Ugh no way to the 1st shift
and then 2nd shift would block me from teaching ASL which pays better.
Immediately she thanked me for my time and I left. Gladly because I knew
it wasn't the job for me. I learned today that 3 years old is as young
as I want to work with.

I did apply to one college who needs an ASL adjunct instructor and am
waiting to find out if the Bronxs HS that Blondie and I worked at last
spring will hire us? My current ASL job wants me to work with another
set of foster kids but I'm waiting till I know what my schedule will be
like (ie, what jobs come my way?)

Now I'm off to celebrate Blondies bday. Damn I forgot her bday card, its
at home. Ill give it to her when I return back from PA.. I'm leaving tmw
and returning Tuesday. Then back to the job hunt.

No comments: