Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Rent paid upfront

Recently my roommate is back in town, I see her on the average of 2/3
times a month with her being a flight attendant and our apartment does
not have CAC (Central Air Conditioning) she stays pretty clear of NYC
during the summer time. Nyhoo I told her I wanted to pay the next 2
months worth of rent. I got paid by SLC, and thru the Rosen Project so
figured why not get it out of the way? I'm tired of worrying about the
rent. Its nice to have these paychecks come in and I'm still waiting for
the Bronxs school gig for the other half of my pay.

Last 2 days of work have been good. I really like my new tutoring job on
the UWS. The girls are very sweet and quick learners. I'm confident by
the end of August they should be able to use ASL well enough to
communicate with their cousin. Apparently he either has Asperger or
Downs Syndrome, not sure. Today I asked the girls if he speaks and signs
or just signs, no voice? Apparently he just signs and no voice. How
interesting to me. I'm curious to meet him (if circumstances permit?)
down the road? At the end of the hour, the girls grandparents arrived.
Made me miss Papa, also they call their grandfather Papa, and their
grandmother Mumsy. I guess for me overall the whole grandparents being
separate from my day to day life never existed. I grew up in their home.
Nyhoo, they were escastic about it, jumping up and down. I like the 4
year old girl the best, she's very easy to work with. If kids stayed
under the age of 7, id have a bunch, its after 7 or 8, things start to
change and honestly after they're a 11/12 its done for. The kid has no
interest in pleasing you or sees the world without bias. This is the age
they discover that, no, we adults don't know everything.

My noon classes on tues/wed awesome! Because of my kidney infection,
Szymanski covered my tues night class and we agreed for her to take over
that class for several reasons.

1- the chemistry between myself and the student during the week before
at the 1st class was off
2- I teach at noon to 2, then a 4 hour gap, then teach from 6 to 8 30,
not fun. 4 hrs is not enough time to go home and who wants to wander
around for that long?
3- I like having my evenings lately. Its nice to be home when the sun is
still out.

Tonight I tutored the twins. I've been teaching them separately because
its easier to retain their attention. The brother is so easy, putty in
my hand but the sister, oh boy. She's bossy. They love when I read them
stories. Lately I've been making them sign words they recognize. This
isn't even simcom, this is flat out speaking English and then teaching
them ASL signs. That's the way the gig was established. The foster
mother made it clear, she wanted voice on. Now I wonder if that's what's
holding them back from real progress or if she's right, their real mom
doesn't even sign to them often or see them regularly. How much can they
learn in 1 hour *now 30 mins a piece* 1x a week? At the end of the
summer, I have to end that gig. I've been doing it since Jan.. I love
the twins but life goes on and depending on what the fall brings me, I
dont want to be tied down with that during the week day evenings.

Tmw I see Blondie for the day. We haven't figured out what yet. The
weather is so bloody hot its hard. We may shoot pool? Or go to a museum
with AC? See see?

Wondering if my uncle and aunt who drove across the country from
California to east coast arrived at Baba's yet? Or if its this weekend?
Hope Baba snaps up some pictures? My uncle is not fond of me. I've given
up trying because that's what Baba wants. It bothers me he dislikes me
when he doesn't even know me. Oh well, life goes on eh?

No comments: