Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The ups & downs

on finding work....

Right now I'm on my way to NJ for an interview. I'm a little upset by an
email(s) I've received about student teaching. See the requirements are
200 hrs of student teaching but I'm being told I must do it full-time 40
hrs a week for 1 semester which well exceeds the minium of 200 hrs. If
that was the case, it could be done in 5 weeks! Its ridiculous I've
never in all the years of education both as a student and as an
employee, ever seen a student teacher work more than 2-3 days a week! I
feel like I'm never gonna graduate! I was actually told to consider
giving up a paying job for working for free for 40 hrs a week. Hello,
does money grow on trees?!? The other thing that really gets me is I was
suppose to do this 2 years ago, but the person who was suppose to be my
mentor for student teaching didn't return my emails for 2 months! By the
time he did, I was already working several jobs :( lastly in this
program I've seen several students get some flexibility on how they
complete the program but I'm not being extended the same courtesy. Its
very upsetting.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Full time" means teaching all the ASL classes that the school offers, and remember that there's an observation period first. By the time you actually start teaching each level, each period, you could be well into the middle of the semester -- that's what it was like for me.

"Full time" could be 2 classes, 3, classes, or 4 or 5 classes, and the hours is dependent on the time of those classes. Three 45-minute classes is only 2 hours and 15 minutes. It's not 8 hours a day.