Thursday, June 26, 2008

MICA Runway 2008 Recap

Last week I arrived back to the heart of NYC and immediately started helping with the preparations for MICA (Wednesday night 18th) where we were all summoned to meet up at the Flatotel Hotel for a committee meeting. While the hotel itself was gorgeous, we ran into some problems there and needless to say, I told Jade we shouldn't book with that hotel again in the future. We originally wanted the Hotel Pennsylvania but it was under renovations :( It was the one we used 2 years ago and had ZERO problems. We'll probably book with them for MICA 2010!

Nyhoo, basically me and some other volunteers went to retrieve items for the goody bags, and boy were there some good stuff! For example RUSK bags filled with shampoo, conditioner, body scrub and so on. Another great goody was the EverGlo that came with the Zico coconut water (which I didn't like), but the EverGlo was tasty! Same as the Boru Vodka, that stuff is STRONG! I got this cute black baseball cap with the Geico Gecko on it, CUTE! There was always Red Bull on hand, to keep us going. Everyday I came home with lots of good stuff and it made the volunteering all well worth it.

Thursday night was the kick-off party to raise awareness for breast cancer and the auction was held too. Jade scored some good stuff, for example a gift certificate for Applebees (worth $50) I got it for $20 smackarooooos yay! It includes two appetizers, 2 main entrees, 2 drinks and 2 desserts. Someone else bidded $100 for a $400 video phone by Ojo. I was very impressed by all of the stuff that was available to be auction. Too bad more deafies didn't come, they would've been quite pleased with the selection.

Friday I didn't make it to MICA for the film festival. I have had this ongoing pain in my abdominal area and it was just too painful for me to function and I was overly tired for no reason. I went to the doc who figured it to be an UTI and after last years fiasco with my kidneys I wasn't taking any chances. I spent the day at home, upset because I was missing the opportunity to watch other films with deaf themes and meet other filmmakers but like my Jack Rabbit says, "you're health is more important!"

Saturday there was NO WAY I was gonna miss the main event of MICA. I arrived to Club Touch located at 240 west 52nd st, very swanky, nice layout. Kudos to Jade for picking a kick ass bar for this kick ass event! I immediately was put to work securing a S-video cable so we could do a live feed but this fell through. Both Jade and I were very disappointed because we wanted this for the red carpet for while people were waiting outside and the hostess was interviewing the attendees the others inside could view it but it was not possible. We did however have a live feed of the event itself on big screen which I controlled to the best of my ability using a mere 5 ft s-video cable, not easy my friend! I was forced to crowd the MCs (Masters of Ceremony) with my camera but my range was limited.

I also had the chance to work with the following actors and actresses;
Michelle Banks, and Monique Holt, both of them I know from before and I was formally introduced to Anthony Natale (famous for his roles in Jerry McGuire and Mr. Holland's Opus)and Russell Harvard (most recently in There Will be Blood). May I add that Russell gave a phenomenal performance! This guy is a ball of pure energy and always ready with a smile! They were nice guys and easy to work with. They didn't have that "stuck up" attitude that I sometimes come across when working with deaf performers, who's names I won't mention but you know who you are!

I also got to see the 2 deaf rappers the Helix Boyz who are well known in Deaf NYC community, they rocked the house! There was also a hearing rap pair name Geno Flamez and Era and they too brought the house down. Plus there were some excellent dancers such as Mervin Primeaux and Jubil Khan who did an interpretive dance of a hearing/deaf relationships and the trials that accompany it. Beautifully done, I know them both from MSSD. Plus one of the fashion designers from 2 years ago Chila who has a great clothing line called Chila for Fun, who as soon as she saw me, throw up her arms and gave me a great bear hug. What a sweetie and she invited me to her bday bash next week! After the event ended I went back to the hotel for the VIP party and had a blast. Dranked, ate and gabbed for a few hours before I trekked back home. After all my job wasn't done, there was still teen MICA on sunday afternoon.

Sunday afternoon took place at the Producer's Club, I was not happy when I saw how crappy the stage was and immediately started to spruce it up, there were xmas lights and I strung them along and taped up these stars to the backdrop. I wanted the kids who were performing to feel good. We had a panel and after each performance, the teens were given feedback and it was a nice mellow afternoon. When that ended, I headed back to the hotel for the wrap up party and to help Jade take the remainder of the supplies back to her apartment.

Meanwhile I wasn't feeling any better, as a matter of fact I was feeling worse. I told Jack I didn't think the antibiotics were working so he made me an appt for Tues to see the doc. I went back to work at medias on Monday but was dragging myself...

Tues I saw the doc who now didn't think I have an UTI but something is wonky with my kidneys and wants me to go to radiology for 3 different scans and gave me the referrals.Wed Jack called and faxs them my referrals, but they didn't have any openings until another few weeks! he then called around and found a place downtown who scheduled me in for Sat at 11am. Jesus...

Thurs I am not in as much pain as before but it has become a dull ache. The pain is where my kidneys are so what is causing it, I haven't a clue. I am not as tired but still not as productive as I would've liked.

Plus I was suppose to audition for Kay's jewerly commericial on Tues but because of the pain I was in and Jack said I looked terrible, I didn't go. I was bummed, I didn't think I would get it but I still wanted to audition. Then a job interview with one school fell through (I had really wanted the job) and they told me the night before the interview that they hired someone else. Gee, thanks...

So yesterday and today I've been scouring over the want ads and have compiled quite a list of schools to send my resume to. But its Thursday and the rule is not to send resumes at the end of the week when employers are ready for the weekend, best to send them out on Monday and Tuesday so thats my game plan for now.

Plus I am on cat sitting duty for Blondie and Cain. Eddie took care of the cat this week and found Cleo at home with NO water, poor kitty. No wonder she was crying/mewing her little heart out. What was Cain thinking?!

This week has sorta dragged by painfully slow. Both Jack and I are ready for the weekend to come. Tmw I am suppose to be off but they asked me to do one event tmw night from 6pm-9pm and I agreed, after all, extra hours equal extra pay $$$.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your long and descriptive blog. Feel better, love.
Baba

deafeningchameleon said...

Aww thank you
Miss you and see you in a few weeks!
love
me

Unknown said...

Wow, girl! I just discovered your blog, today, September 23rd. Smile.

That was a nice write up about MICA event. I appreciate it.

Can you make the HD Expo?

Can I have your permission to link up your blog to mica site and FB?