Saturday, October 18, 2008

I was robbed

Thursday night on my way home from working both jobs I was attacked from behind and my purse was stolen. It happened on the very block I live on. I actually live at the end a street off the corner of 5th ave. I was coming from Lenox Ave walking eastward down my street. My street is a residential neighborhood, with rows of houses and small front yards.
On one shoulder I had my courier style bag with my students papers, etc., etc and on the other shoulder my purse neatly tucked in between my side and my arm. I felt a gush of air from behind me when suddenly an arm was wrapped around my neck. For a split second I thought jokingly it must be Jack sneaking up on me to surprise me, because the gym he goes to is off of Lenox ave, I figured he might be coming back from exercising. But at the same time, that's not Jack's style to rough house with me like that. That's the kind of stuff that happened at MSSD/Gally days. So within moments I realized as the arm continued to choke me and pull me back somewhat that this wasn't someone I knew. A 2nd thug grabbed my purse which I didn't let go off because I was too busy pulling the arm away from my neck that when finally the purse strap snapped. Then the 2d thug ran with my purse, while the other one released his choke hold and ran off back towards Lenox ave. I immediately began running after them in complete shock yelling "GIVE ME BACK MY PURSE, GIVE ME BACK MY PURSE!" Hoping some one nearby may hear me and block the 2 thugs but this is Harlem and the block running parallel to my street on either sides are both loaded with people up to no good. There were a few standing about like this was a show and did nothing about it. I stopped running when the 1st guy with my purse made it to Lenox ave and began sobbing walking back home, just not believing what happened to me!

I never saw my 2 attackers. By the time I swung around the thug with my purse was already running and the one who had been choking me also ran not too far behind the 1st one. The one who choked me was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and dark jeans that all I could see. I guessed were they were teenagers because of their builds. They were not at all muscular/stocky but somewhat skinny, the one with my purse was shorter than the one who choked me. That's all I can remember, I will never have a face to remember as my attacker. Which is kind of good but kind of not. Because earlier today (Friday) as I walked to the bank nearby, every young black guy dressed as thugs and fit the build of my assailants I thought to myself, was that you who was choking me last night?

I am ok. I was not seriously hurt. The police came within 20-25 minutes after the assualt, phone calls were made to all financial institutions that I belong too, my sidekick account suspended, etc., etc. which went on till close to 1am. When the police arrived they immediately asked me to get in the back of their police car to drive around the nearby area and see if I could identify the guys who robbed me. I told them right off the back, I never saw them and I was in shock, there was no details other than the black hooded sweatshirt and the fact there was 2 of them. But we drove around anyways. The police ended up frisking 4 sets of guys all who fit the description of my attackers but the problem is, so many of them dress that way. Each time the officer would ask me, "is this him? them?" and I say, I don't know, I can't be sure. And I certainly didn't want anyone arrested who was innocent. I didn't want to be the "racist" white girl who got them in trouble just because they are black and dressed like thugs. Jack calls this white people's guilt and feels that if a person is dress like a criminal and out and about in the middle of the night, they're probably up to no good. He's probably right but as a whitie, we've had it drilled into our heads not to be racist or assume bad things about people of different colors.

Around 9am this morning, Jack woke me up and there was my purse, sans sidekick and the 5 bucks I had, plus change. But everything else was there, all my IDs, my keys, my cell phone (red one I use with speaker phone to call family sometimes), make up, pens etc etc.. The strap had snapped directly in the middle. It turned out that a woman found it in the park across from my apt where the thugs like to hang out at and found the cell phone. Called the apt because our landline is programmed into the cell and Jack retrieved the purse. I never did ask about the woman but I would like to thank her with a card and a little money. I will ask Jack about it later. Because I went to bed very late last night, I went back to sleep after we dumped out the purse to see what was gone. I finally rolled out of bed around 330pm today (Friday). I knew I had to go to the bank to get a temporary atm card because my old one had been cancelled and a new one is being issued and mailed out today. I decided to go to the branch off of 125th street near Lenox ave and guess what? They had just had a major robbery and no one could go in the bank! I told one of the police officers standing outside the bank that I had been robbed last night and my boyfriend's car vandalized last saturday night. I added, they needed to do something soon because this is getting out of hand. Anyways I ended up taking a bus west down 125th ave to a different bank and when I requested a new atm card. They informed me, they don't issue them. I replied wryly "oh is this because this is Harlem? Cuz I had one issued a while back off of 23rd and 1st ave with no problem." The rep didn't reply but he knew I was right.

After that I went across the street to Popeyes to grab a bite and this older black lady made small talk with me. A very grandmotherly type and it made me wonder how she survives the area especially with the way things are going. I sure hope the rest of her life goes by without anything bad happening to her as she's quite old and I am young and will recover from this.

I went to see Szymanski but I was still so tired and just out of it from the robbery. I told her the whole story from A-Z and she of course was relieved that I am ok. We decided to meet up tomorrow night (later today because its 330am as I type this). I will cook her dinner. I got back to the apt and Jack immediately came up to me to ask me if I was ok? I said, I was so so. He informed me Baba had called because she was concerned when my emails (to my sidekick) bounced back and Jack told her my purse had been snatched but didn't give the full story. He knew I would want to tell her myself. I sat down and called her. She took the news quite well and we both remarked on how fortunate I am that most of the items had been left untouch such as my metro card and license. She's also happy too because Jack will pick me up from work at night from now on and we agreed no more Lenox ave, to only use 5th ave. We talked some more and again I was quite relieved Baba took the news well. I worried she would think I can't handle NYC but in fact it was the opposite. She knows I will take the necessary steps to ensure my safety and we also agreed that almost every woman has been robbed at one time or another, whether its a purse snatching or pickpocketing. She told me how once her checkbook was stolen from her purse.

After I finish talking to Baba I was wiped out and I told Jack I was so tired and went to lie down around 8pm, asking him to wake me up at 9pm. He did but I said I was too tired and wanted to sleep through the night. That didn't happen. Instead I woke up at midnight and started to just clean for a while. I just don't want to think and it bothers me every time I swallow, it hurts a little and reminds me of what happened last night. I just want to add that when this actually happened I never feared for my life, it was more of a total surprise and confusion of what was happening, followed by anger as I chased them, followed by sobs as I walked to my apt realizing my purse was gone. I dont know how to explain my feelings right now. Its kind of unreal but at the same time, so very real. I am so lucky that I wasn't seriously hurt or worse raped. This experience has made me more aware of my surroundings and to know that while I am not a racist person. If a person is dress like a criminal, then they probably are, regardless of what color their skin is. I won't stop living my life but my trust in strangers has gone down several notches.

For those of you who are reading this, be aware my tmail is suspended right now and the best way to contact me is through my columbia.edu account or just wait a few days and then email my tmail.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whew! I'm just glad you weren't anything beyond just robbed. The brats!

I took self-defense in college because I grew up downtown. If you happen to walk alone (no matter whether it's broad daylight or night time), always pretend you are looking around (move your head to the right and left often, as if you are enjoying your surroundings).

You'd be amazed to know how OFTEN I catch guys of different shapes and races getting too close to me while I'm walking alone. That alone is enough for them to move away from me. Talk about psychology/streetwiseness!

Of course, there have been other times when this didn't work and instead of them walking away, I'd walk into a store, café, restaurant, wherever my closest safety-escape is. They don't have a reason to enter these places, anyway.

The last time I was jumped on was when I was 14. Luckily nothing happened. He ran away when I went "Hey!"--I thought it was some guy I knew until I realized otherwise--and he ran away, slipping on an icy sidewalk every few steps. (That's karma for him!) I only wish I knew self-defense tips at that time ;-) I do remember, however, my heart thumping heavily when it finally started to dawn on me that he was a failed robber.

But seriously, I'm so glad you are okay, otherwise. I'm glad Jack and Baba are very positive with you; that helps tremendously.

Anonymous said...

The above advice on how to behave proactively is good advice. Didn't you take a class on self-defense when you first moved to NYC? Perhaps a refresher course would help. When I lived in SF, I took a course in how to use mace in an emergency like the one you encountered. There are definitely things you have to know about it like which way the wind is blowing. Otherwise you might get a faceful. But, holding that in your hand as you walk down a dark street, makes you feel that you have some way to defend yourself. I never had to use it so I can't say unequivocally that it can work. Anyway, you were jumped from behind so it's questionable.I'm just so thankful that you weren't hurt badly although the feeling that you are more vulnerable than you thought can be so unsettling. I hope your throat feels better soon. As far as that nice lady who returned your purse, I've met some wonderful women from the black community. They have the added burden, in addition to poverty, of having to live in a dangerous community. I wish more could be done for people trapped in poverty, both black and white. Perhaps if Obama gets in, life will improve for them as well as for the middle class. This was a chilling experience but you weren't badly hurt although it will take a while to get your sea legs back again, you will recover and move on. The family is all so glad that you have Jack there. Love you, Baba

Anonymous said...

With this city going back to the old days (thanks largely to the poor economy, racial tension and 7,000 less officers on the street compared to the year 2000), what you said is best. Simply suspect everyone who dresses that way regardless of race or color. I have seen many robberies and thefts occur from a white guy mugging someone for his bike in the upper west side all the way to a spanish guy stealing a purse in alphabet city. What they all share in common besides their animal mentality is their thug clothing. And anyone who isn't a criminal but stupid enough to dress that way deserves the negative attention and police harassment. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the police pull their guns in the faces of those "people" because it is what they deserve.

We are fortunate that the new shop that opened up a block away in the right direction has become a cop hangout so you shouldn't have any further trouble when going to and from where you need to go.