Sunday, January 23, 2011

Movie Reviews

Over the holiday break, I watched a lot of movies and now I feel like playing film critic

SALT starring Angelina Jolie about a KGB sleeper was pretty good to watch. A lot of action and fast paced scenes. Not heavily invested in a complicated story line and superficially touches the feelings from the Cold War era. I did like that the end leaves open to the possibility of a sequel. Overall if you're not in the mood to think a lot and want lots of excitement, then watch this.




SHREK-FOREVER AFTER was a blast to watch with Mom. The storyline of this Shrek edition deals with the possibilities of what Shrek's and Princess Fiona had never met and fell in love? It was a scream to watch. Mr. Pussboots and Donkey as usual keep you in stiches and I thou
ght Princess Fiona's alternative life was terrifically done. It was great fun to watch. I recommend this for when you need a laugh and enjoy letting the film do all the work.







SWEET DREAMS a biopic movie about the life and death of Patsy Cline that I watched with Baba was really well done. I love Jessica Lange and seeing Ed Harris when he was younger and a lot cuter with hair was a nice plus. Ever since I watched the movie WALK THE LINE about Johnny and June Cash, I have become a sucker for country singers life stories. And along the way I stumble across a song or two that I add to my music collection. I thought they did a bang up job with this story and was sad to see her die at the end from the typical plane crash that claimed many singers' lives from the 50s & 60s.

YOU DON'T KNOW JACK first of all I thought the title of this movie was clever in itself. And who doesn't wanna see Al Pacino (has he ever made a bad movie?) It was again a terrific biopic movie and little did I know the history behind this man and how he became known as Dr. Death. I have always been a supporter of assisted suicide when it comes to alleviating the pain of a living death or to avoid the lost of identity of a person and their abilities to be cognitive. No one should suffer a long painful death, a person should be able to leave this world with their dignity and to spare their family more pain too. If we have the sense to put down an animal when its old and in pain, shouldn't a person who is old and in pain be allowed to leave the world in their own fashion? This was in my opinion a thought provoking and eye opening film.






Mary and Max a film inspired by the writer's real life pen pal who happened to be autistic and lived in NYC. It was a unique movie to watch and had sort of a weird vibe to it. As my Grandmother (Baba) said "It was a WEIRD movie to watch." I myself found it to be bittersweet and enjoyed that it touched on many somewhat taboo topics. This isn't the kind of movie kids would enjoy, only grown up kids like myself. I loved Max(well's) character because he reminds me of so many different people who I have met over the years. I think my Aunt Nancy should get this from Netflix, she and my Uncle David would like this movie. If you're in the mood for weird and at times sweet, then watch this.

HAPPINESS
wow, I loved this movie. It is about a multi layered, dysfunctional family and dared to approach the issue of pedophlia. I found the depth of this movie and the common human themes found in all families very relatable. The annoyingly sister who has everything (a husband, kids and white picket fence) and the other sister, extremely successful, highly desired and a 3rd that everyone wonders will she ever get married are all the kinds of personalities we've encountered here and there. The father who liked young boys is an actor named Dylan Baker and he played the part so believably. I think he and William H Macy should play brothers in another movie. I was disappointed to read that the Sundance Festival refused to accept this movie, tsk tsk. If you're the kind of movie viewer who votes republican and has a large collection of Disney movies, this isn't the film for you. Otherwise enjoy.

ROBINHOOD starring Russell Crowe who as Jack stated "poor guy, he can't seem to find a movie to star in from this decade." but nonetheless, Crowe always seems to do well from period pieces and from what I understand, this version is the most "historically" accurate account of the Robinhood story. It takes place during the at the very end of the 1100s in England and as usual, lots of action packed scenes, blood and gore, men fighting men. The common Russell Crowe formula of the underdog becoming a leader. I found it at times to be a little long for me but was still glad I watched it.


INCEPTION a so called science fiction film (not really) but anyways it stars Leonardo DiCaprio and I at first had to force myself to watch it. Overall this movie did not keep me captivated and I only watched it because Jack was watching it. It was okay. I much prefer Leo's other movie SHUTTER ISLAND now that's a great mind twister of a movie which I have seen 2x in the past 6 months. I would recommend SHUTTER ISLAND over INCEPTION any day.

So there you have it, and this completes my movie reviews ;-)

No comments: