Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Lacrosse

After teaching college kids for over 5 years, you can pretty much immediately spot the students who are studious and students who like to have fun as well as problem students. And every year a handful of them stand out causing you to form life long memories of them. I never forget one guy from last year's class who was cocky, athletic, funny and at times bitingly sarcastic. He is majoring in criminal justice to later after college become a police officer which is something I admire. His favorite sign probably was Lacrosse. So this year during last week's 1st day of class, one particular student stands out, he's more energetcc, loves attention from his friend and obviously bored easily. Kind of like last year's student and out of the corner of my eye I caught him signing Lacrosse to his jock friends. Then he saw that I had seen this, he beckoned to ask me if that was the correct way to sign Lacrosse and I said yes. I asked him where he learned it. He said from a teammate. I said was it (insert boy's name from last year's class)? His smile turned into a big toothy grin and said yes. Funny how far the ripple effect goes between what I teach and what the students retain and spread. And stimultaneously how the students after a time rub off on me so they become unforgettable :]

No comments: