Friday, January 19, 2007

League of Hard of Hearing



Don't know how many of you grew up watching Mork and Mindy show? Kinda feeling like Mork from Ork. My brain is a little fried from teaching almost 6 hours today. Glad the work week is almost over.

When I wake up I will go to the LHH (League of Hard of Hearing) to pick up a new earmold. Funny, one of Clyde's friends asked if LHH is where all of the deaf people hang? Like its a social spot for deaf gatherings. When my boyfriend replied no, it provides various services for deafies, hoh and the senior citizen crowd with their own hearing needs. He then explained that I am involved with the "Deaf Community." His friend replied, "Thats too bad, League of Hard of Hearing" sounds better. It actually sounds like a squad of super heroes ready to defend HOH from deafies who don't think we're deaf enuff or hearies who don't think we try hard enuff.

I am looking forward to February when I will go to PA for Baba's bday the 1st weekend. Then the 2nd weekend to DC where I hope to see Zaxy, Peep, Karen, Demon, Trotto and a few others.

Funny, Clyde is a diehard NYer. I tease him and say he doesn't have a heart but instead an apple beating inside of him. We have been doing well. I still get frusturated by our communication breakdowns and cultural differences. There oughta be a manual guide on deaf/hearing relationships dos and donts. Like do expect the hearing person will not fall in love with the deaf world. Another example would be don't expect the deafie to always be willing to speak, talk, listen, read lips, mime, interpretive dance.... instead of using ASL.

Here are 2 stories on deaf/hearing relationships, the 2nd one I definitely felt hit closer to home (everything except the deaf woman reading skills and educational level).

deaf and hearing
We Listened To Ourselves

1 comment:

K said...

Jen,

Great articles. I'm definitely forwarding the links to my sweetie!

:)