Tuesday, March 06, 2007

I'd Rather Be With Animal....


The title for this post is a line from the song Animal by Pearl Jam.

Friday I saw my ex for a few hours, at first I didnt think things would go well but ironically they did and we agreed to date on Sunday. I spent Friday night deep cleaning, ya know the kind where you take everything out of the kitchen to sweep and mop the floors. Same for the living room, furniture pieces moved. I was thrilled to get so much done in terms of cleaning and mopping the apt. Someone even remarked how nice the apt looked and smelled, apparently there was a staleness or food odor that lingers normally. Plus my roomie is a smoker so there's that as well.

Saturday nite Blondie came by for a home cooked meal at my place before we headed to the Deaf/ASL version of the Vagina Monologues which several of our friends were in it including King and Szymanski. Both did a superb job, as a matter of fact all of the performers did a wonderful job except for one woman who couldnt keep anyone's focus on her or what she was saying... she just didnt captivate the audience...


My date last Sunday with Sweets to go see the movie Bridges to Terabithia with rearview captioning off of 42nd st. It was pretty good, my only advice is there is a tearjerker scene that blindsides you. Ironically the woman sitting in the seat next to me also cried and when her date/boyfriend handed her this ratty piece of towel or tissue, I wasn't sure what it was, I offered her a tissue from my packet in my purse and she kept declining it. It was silly and I just put the tissue on her knee, not taking no for an answer. Afterwards we took the train to 34th st and walked over to 32nd and 6th ave for Sushi. FYI 32nd st has numerous Korean restuarants and several Japanese or Chinese places as well. We lucked out at one Japanese place that was empty, so we could actually communicate without background noises. The food was great and the service was excellent! It was a good first date since the break up :)

The weekend went well, I also met up with some cool folks (King, Nutter, and Cool-B) for a meeting Sunday afternoon, we've agreed on one event to be planned for April, now we gotta make calls, check out locations etc etc, to get this show on the road.

I wanted to copy and paste what my Sweets wrote in his blog below to let you know how we're doing;

Tuesday, March 06, 2007
Contractual "signing"

Well currently I am with Nova as she is teaching two children (age 3 and 4) to learn how to sign. It's interesting to watch how much yet how little they pick up. They obviously don't learn like adults, in the sense that you show them a sign and they repeat it directly. They seem very selective with what signs they want to learn and retain. However, her arsenal of fun-filled books, cards and stickers seem to lubricate the learning process. They obviously have learned a lot and all three of them seem to have a good time together.

Today we agreed on some issues such as how to approach communication needs. Basically, I can use signs that I know and if I don't know them then it's whatever. It's going to take years and years for me to learn and apply this properly. In essence, we have a contract.

Things have been better between Nova and I. For a while it seemed like we may part ways and move along. However, things just seemed to have worked themselves to a point where we decided that it's not what either of us want. With the help of an external and neutral source, we have been able to get past through many of the communication (and other) issues that we have encountered.


compared to what he wrote on what he wrote Monday Feb 26th

As many of you know, Nova (still my girl even if not "officially") are going through some rough spots. We've decided to take the next 3 weeks and try to reorganize our relations, if possible. One of my main problems is that I was not able to rely on any of my friends, family or really anyone when it came to my deaf/hearing relationship. I had no reference whatsoever, and Nova had been aware of these situations all of her life through friends and stories. So basically, whenever I tried to give some input about our relationship, I was producing raw ideas with no frame or reference. And of course, she would back up her ideas with actualities. And I might as well have tried to back up my points with a bottle of air. Or her friends would make suggestions that inevitably would be in her best interest, with less consideration for my own (which is natural). I give a severe amount of credit to her grandmother though, who is "hearing" and could relate to me on many levels. I very much enjoyed talking with her, because I felt like I was being understood and all, but she was only one person and she happens to live 170 miles away. Overall, I felt like I had no recourse and often felt plain defensive, which caused issues. I often felt like the "bad guy"and it began to show. Sometimes I'd feel guilty, which I discovered recently. Either way, usually it was on the negative end of the spectrum. There is nothing worse than feeling unrepresented and outnumbered. So anyway, I finally agreed to see someone who specializes in deaf/hearing situations. It has been so much better for me because the person has no interest either way and is able to make level, unbiased observations. Since that day I have felt 10x better and I plan on continuing!

I have a severe belief that soon enough, Nova and I will be back on track again. Being with someone who is deaf has opened up a whole new set of experiences, and I am happy to have them. We both care for each other greatly and are both looking forward to happy, fun and memorable times in the future.


Obviously we're making improvements and I think the end of 4 weeks, we will be back on track in a way that is healthy for both of us. Even tho it was scary and I knew I was risking losing him forever when I broke up with him, I am glad I did it and it has so far turned out ok. Here's to a brighter future for the both of us:D

Before I go, Sweets was joking what an "animal" he is and it reminded me of "Animal" on the Muppet Show remmy him? He was always banging on the drums and growling when he answered other people's questions...anyhoo enjoy a blast from the past!

No comments: