Monday, October 08, 2007

Hmm, what would you do?

If you were a parent to a 15 year old girl who happened to have severe disabilities (what kind of disability isnt made clear) and she has a mind of a young child (again, no real information on her comprehension abilities) but the question is. If your child was soon at an age or already at an age of menstruation should the parent have the right to allow doctors to remove all of the child's reproductive system? To avoid the monthly menstruation, mood swings, cramping and so on? I read this article and I really was stumped (no pun intended) on how I would decide if I were in this particular predicament. I mean if the person in question would never understand menstruation or know how to get preggars or raise children themselves then part of me leans towards the mother's side in this situation. But I can also understand the activist but I think theres a fine line between a person who is disabled physically and a person who is disabled mentally. I don't know the answer and I hope I never have to face this kind of decision in the future.
this is a great pix of my sweets working on his car from a few weeks ago. Theres something so sexy about that!


Yesterday Jack and I watched "GOR" which we havent finished but definitely a B Movie. Whats so interesting about GOR is a fantasy series written by John Norman hints at BDSM before it was widely known or popular. The world of Gor is very male-dominated with the women being slaves. There's also a lot of reference to sadistic behaviors as well (the enjoyment of inflicting pain.) While I ofc do not advocate the idea of living in this kind of world and probably would be frowned upon by hardcore feminist, it is an interesting story line.

Speaking of S&M, my mother told me this joke soon after my ex broke up with me 5 years ago. The joke goes like this

What did the masochist say to the sadist?
"hit me, hit me!" and the sadist said "no."


I have to admit there were times I seem to thrive on misery. Mom called it right. I truly do feel things deeply.

Friday night Szymanski and I watched Napoleon Dynamite. God the movie gets better and better with each viewing. I really want the soundtrack CD for my collection.


Yesterday Jack and I took apart the futon frame, after 3 years and 4 moves, it was kaput. It was messing up my back so now
that the futon mattress is on the floor, I can sleep without walking around like an old man the next day. I dont know whether to bother to replace it with a real bed and frame or just sleep with it on the floor?

2 comments:

abc said...

Three Cheers for Napoleon Dynamite! Something new and fresh needs to come out every year or so to keep us all sane. I'm sure the juxtaposition of Napoleon and GOR wasn't an accident -- nicely done!

As for sterilization of the severely disabled, I'm afraid of the slippery slope that could lead to. Its obvious that some people cannot be parents, and I'm not sure its a good idea that they contribute to the gene pool either, but where would it stop? I work with severely disabled Deaf adults, and I can easily see some parents making such decisions for their kids... A few years ago I became aware of a parent who asked the doctor to tie her daughter's tubes after the delivery of her daughter's second child. The daughter was Deaf, MR and completely incapable of raising the two children she had already given birth to. Grandmother was providing ALL the care and nurturing (as well as financial support). But the Deaf daughter's husband (Deaf also) contacted a lawyer and inititated a lawsuit against the doctor, the hospital and the grandmother because he could no longer father more children.

Its a long and convoluted mess... But it does happen. Hubby probably reads Deaf blogs and may be ready to sue me too because of this posting!

Anonymous said...

Well if the description "mind of a child" is accurate then I'd definitely be open to the same decision. Nothing to do with the right to procreate because very simply, someone with such limited mental capacity has no business having sex. Also, I shudder to think at the type of man who'd be interested.