Sunday, April 05, 2009

A General Jen's Day- yay!

Today is the 1st day in weeks I have actually STAYed HOME! No work, no errands, no TC just me in my pjs with my thesis notes and laptop. The tv is on to keep my company as I work. Its so nice not to have to be anywhere at anytime till tmw morning for work.

Yesterday was such a LONG day. I had my alarm set (6 different alarms) so I could be at work by 7:30am but I woke up at exactly 8am! Oh no! I scrambled to throw on some clothes and brush my teeth so I wouldn't injury innocent people with my killer morning breath. Hopped into a cab and go to work probably I want to say 8:15 or so. I am not kidding, I ran like a blur and the cab driver put the pedal to the metal!

Lucky for me, there was 2 of us working the event, and I was already there the day before setting up the mics and making sure that all of the equipment was working. Still the woman in charge of the event was not happy to see me when I arrived. I immediately apologized, didn't offer any excuse except that I took a cab straight away there. She seemed fine the rest of the day and I have worked for her many times during the week setting up or breaking down for her classes so I hope she wont make any complaints to my department about me being slightly late? She may because Mr. Coffee (god, he makes so many mistakes!) had told her there would be 2 techs in the a.m.. and 1 tech in the afternoon. But both of us techs worked all day because it really was a 2 person job so when she went to sign our time sheet, she told me what Mr. Coffee had told her which is kind of moronic as she was with US both all day and knew we were on the clock. Ugh so now she will have 2 complaints to follow up with tmw if she decides to. I mean the event went really well and we had no major problems with the equipment so I am keeping my fingers crossed. I really shouldn't worry because this would be the 1st time this has ever happened during the 4 years I've worked there in terms of a tech event.

I also used the time to do students grades and look up more L2 research. My 1st round of a thesis was "denied" and instead labeled as a "preliminary" round. Uh ok. I knew it wasn't anywhere close to being done but time is running out and I hope I can hand it in 5 more times before April 30th? This week I will have a much more solid piece of work to turn in.

Szymanski came by last night and cooked me dinner. It was interesting meal, it consisted of shrimp, bacon bits, grits, cheese and I dont know what else. Very THICK and refreshing to taste. Definitely the kind of meal to have on a cold, snowy day. We watched a movie about Bettie Page called The Notorious Bettie Page. Very well done, I would have like to have seen more depth to the story but overall very good movie. I thought the actress Gretchen Mol from Life on Mars the TV show did a fablous job playing Bettie Page! I didn't even recognize her, but Szymanski did as she's a fan of that show. The only major complaint I had with the movie was neither the subtitles or the CC used when it cames to songs lyrics. They played a lot of songs that sounded good but I had no idea what was being said and that sucked. Who out there decided that deafies don't like music or want to know the lyrics???

(see how different Gretchen Mol looks in these 2 different characters? The one on the right is her from the tv show Life on Mars)


So now that I've slept in and made a good lunch that included a side of corn bread I am ready to dive in the deep end of my thesis and do a few laps in my "thesis pool" with periodical breaks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know you are going to write a killer thesis now that you have the additional material. Go for it!
Baba