Monday, September 24, 2007

Weekend blurrrrrr

Dang
the weekend went by too quickly! Friday night Szymanski and Jane Q came by. Szymanski made killer burgers and this delicious raspberry-orange tiramisu (tear-a-miss-you). We gabbed for hours. Jane Q lights up the room when she enters. She's my first friend who is training to be a terp.

Saturday's class went really well. I tried some new ideas such as when showing a dialogue from the book. I would demonstrate it 2xs for the students. Then I created "situation" cards that would create a similar dialogue as in the book. They really liked it. I plan to modify it for the next class so that they know which information to include in the conversation in itself. Once that was done, Szymanski and I headed over to the local Y (on 14th st) so I could ssp for my db friend Martin. It was a lovely service (considering I missed most of the day and only caught the last hr of it.) Apparently the Rabbi who conducted the sermon lives in VT. He was the Rabbi for the Deaf community up till 12 years ago before he moved to VT. Now he drives to NYC for the High Holidays just for use Deaf NYers. What a nice man! Then we broke the fast at a nearby diner called MoonStruck. I ordered french toast, delicious! We all 3 went to KMart for Martin to pick up a few items for his trip out of town this week. Its hard for DBs to get people to ssp when they need to shop because its very time consuming.

Sunday I spent with Jack. He drove me to his old neighborhood in Queens. I saw the elementary school where he went to. It was nice to see a bit of his past. Then we went to a local pizzeria that he hadn't been to in years. The food was pretty good. We kept it pretty simple yesterday because we both are working 6 days a week now, he's looking for a 2nd job for during the day time as he works evenings from 5 or 6pm to 11pm. Plus neither of us have gotten paid this month, we're both expecting paychecks later this week or early next week. I told him since we're both working so much we should just make Sunday's movie-thon days. Ya know, do laundry, order pizza and just veg out.

I am somewhat concerned for my Mom's friend Judy. She fell recently and really messed up her face. Judy has been a part of my life since I was like 8 years old so she's like an aunt to me. She has Huntington's disease which affects the neuronal cells to degenerate and affects the individuals physical ability such as coordination. And its terminal. I am not ready to lose her yet. I cannot wait to see her in November when I see my Mom.

When I was growing up, Judy and my Mom would sing a Janis Joplin song "Mercedes Benz"

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends.
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?
Dialing For Dollars is trying to find me.
I wait for delivery each day until three,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a color TV ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?
I'm counting on you, Lord, please don?t let me down.
Prove that you love me and buy the next round,
Oh Lord, won't you buy me a night on the town ?

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?
My friends all drive Porsches, I must make amends,
Worked hard all my lifetime, no help from my friends,
So oh Lord, won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz ?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gosh, Jenny, I'd forgotten all about that song. I can remember hearing Judy and your Mom singing it. Shades of better days, huh? It makes me sad, too, that Judy is so ill with no hope for improvement. All we can do is love her and care about her. Your Mom is a good friend to Judy, bless her.

Anonymous said...

Actually it would be tear(like cry)-a-me-sue. Sorry but my Italian side had to speak up ;)