Tuesday, November 04, 2008

What a "Marvel" weekend

This past weekend, Jack and I got our fill of Marvel inspired movies! On Friday, during the day we watched the Incredible Hulk with Edward Norton playing David Banner. And man was it good! I was on the edge of my seat through most of the film. It was a 100 times better than the 1st movie that came out about 8 years ago. Better story line, gripping effects, just an AWESOME movie if you're a Hulk fan like me and grew up watching Bill Bixby play David Banner and Lou Ferrigno play the Hulk (he has a small cameo in this one too!). Near the end of the movie Robert Downey Jr. made a cameo as Iron Man. We decided right there and then we would rent Iron Man and watch it Saturday night. Jack had heard it was 2xs better than the Hulk.

After we ate dinner with Baba and her friend Millie (Baba made a delicious brisket with "smashed" potatoes, carrots and gravy, YUMMY!) We also encountered some trick or treaters, so cute. Jack and I headed to Jason's Woods for the Haunted Hayride. I made sure to hardly drink any liquids that day, I wanted my pants stay dry! We brought tickets for the hayride and their "haunted" museum of freaks and oddities. I figured the museum would be a good warm up before I was really scared. Already within minutes one woman in a costume came up and said "boo!' and I stumbled backwards. Then another guy who was standing with the other props, and I leaned to Jack that I thought he was a real person and he began to follow me which caused me to become jumpy. I immediately said "Jack! Come HERE!" while this guy who said nothing continued to follow me menacingly. Jack watched me literally jump to his direction and he replied "The guy wasn't even saying anything." I of course didn't care, I wanted my man to be with me non-stop!

Next we went on the hayride, there wasn't any lines to wait in. I was a little surprised at how uncrowded it was. Then again this year Halloween was on a Friday so I am sure some people were with their kids trick or treating, others hosting or attending parties. It boded well for us because we didn't have to wait around. They sat us in the front of the bed of hay, right behind the tractor. I refused to sit in the corner, I knew that would be a prime spot for the cast members to scare me. The ride began and it was so much fun. I shrieked, screamed and buried my head more times than I could count into Jack's arm or lap. They usually went straight for me. It could've been due to the fact I looked scared every time and I was. It was so nice of Jack to let me CLING to him for dear life when they uttered things like "You don't belong here. We need brains, blood!" Lots of growling and groaning, moaning, fog smoke, strobe lights, an excellent set up! I was so happy when it was done. I let out a sigh of relief followed by a huge grin. I immediately asked Jack if we could do it again next year? He said of course. We will probably go to Field of Screams, another haunted site in my home town.

We came back in good spirits, and also hit Hollywood videos where one of the cashiers dressed like a priest recommended we fast forward through the credits of Iron Man, because there was a small bonus materials at the end. We headed home and chilled out for the rest of the night.

Saturday we got up and while I was in the shower my Uncle Rob and his 2 sons, Benjamin and Nathan stopped by for a visit. It was so nice to see him. My nephew Benjamin was such a good boy, sitting quietly while we all talked, Nathan too. I was suppose to meet David, Nancy and Bobby at 2:30 but we wanted to visit with Rob a little longer, so I ended up meeting them closer to 3:15. We all met up at Nancy's house and her friend Josie (I think that's how you spell her name or Jody) joined us too for the Greek Bazaar. Bobby rode in Jack's car with us. We talked about his school year, and classes he was taking. He seems to be a major fan of American Culture, aka American History. Has a 110% average in that class. I gotta say, Bobby gets cooler and cooler as each year passes. His hair is as long or maybe longer than mine. I asked him how long he planned to grow it. He says at least a foot and than plans to donate it to Locks of Love. I told him I just did that last spring and how great I thought it was he was doing that!

We arrived to the Greek Bazaar and man there was a line outside the church. We waited an hour and it was so worth it. During that time we chatted about how much we enjoyed the Hulk from the day before and invited them to watch Iron Man with us after the Bazaar. Bobby was so thrilled to be going to Baba's to watch the movie. And David who hadn't seen the Hulk, I told him to borrow our copy and WATCH it! By the time we got our food and sat down, I don't know about the rest, but I wolfed down the chicken and devoured the pastitsio. We also met the priest's wife who introduced herself to us and explained about how all members of their Greek Church help with the annual Greek Bazaar. Little kids ages 4, 5 carry buckets of honey balls to and from the kitchen, eating a few along the way. I don't blame them, you know how Homer Simpson drools for donuts, that's me for honey balls. Then when the kids are in 4th grade, they move up to taking group orders for drinks. By the time they are in middle school, the girls serve and sell pastries and the boys bus and clear the tables. The adults take care of the cooking and serving and organizing the event itself. This year was their 50th anniversary! One Greek man, a church member gave out brochures and pins that read "I was Greek for a day." Both Bobby and Jack only ate their chicken and rolls. Bobby also ate the Greek olives and grape leaves filled with rice. The rest of us ate their left overs. I was glad to eats Jack's pastitsio that he picked at some. I was stuffed but not too stuff not to order some honey balls before we walked around and browsed the shops in the other corridor. By this time Bobby was anxious to leave and go directly to Baba's to watch Iron Man but Nancy told him to be patient. Besides I wanted Jack to have the full experience of this event. In the brochure it explained that this event has an average of over 10,000 visitors a year! I believe it, its too good not to go. We shmyed around and of course Nancy, Bobby, David and I enjoyed the "attic room" which is more like a garage sale where they sell whatever the members donated to the church. I brought a book, Sony CD player and a lamp for $2.75, how sweet is that? I also picked up some food items for Baba and Mom per their request. By now Jack was just as antsy as Bobby to get out of there. Jack doesn't like crowds which ironic considering he was born and raised in NYC. I quickly snapped some photos and the 4 of us, David, Bobby, Jack and I went back to Baba's house. Nancy would be by later after she and her friend were done at the Bazaar and had time to visit.

We got to Baba's and immediately popped in Iron Man the dvd. Baba joined us and it was a packed living room. The movie began and it was pretty good. It had a lot more humor than the Hulk did, Robert Downey Jr and Gwenth Paltrow did a wonderful job with their characters as Tony Stark of Stark's Industry, a weapon's manufacturer and Miss Potts as his assistant. As the movie progressed I suddenly realized that character Obadiah Stane was played by Jeff Bridges!!! I love him. He was in the movie Star Man as well as the Big Lebrowski. I idolizes Bridges. I think this was the 1st time I had seen him play a bad guy. Not bad, but I still see the "dude" from the Big Lebrowski whenever I see him. I thought the story-line for this movie wasn't as good as the Hulk but still pretty damn good overall. I had a hard time seeing the scenes that took place in the caves. Either it was the tv it was being played on or else it was based on sounds in which hearing people can enjoy those scenes better than us deafies? We even turned off the living room lights to see it better but to be honest I just read the captions.

Nancy came by right at the end of the movie and we all sat around and talked. It was a great night!

Sunday I met up with Mom. Lucky for us we had an extra hour due to daylight saving times. You know how it goes, Fall back, Spring forward! Mom treated me to Red Lobster. My god was it good! I of course ordered snow crab legs, and stuffed myself. I was kind of tired on Sunday, lucky for me, Mom was cool and we only went to Walmart after lunch to pick up a few things and then went back to Mom's place where I got to visit with Tom my bastard kitty and nap some.

Jack and I decided to return to NYC Monday afternoon. It was a wonderful weekend. I can't wait to see them all again in a few weeks for Thanksgiving! My friend Karen will be joining us for that. She'll be driving up from MD and staying at Baba's for a few days.

No comments: