Sunday, September 03, 2006

hard 2 believe

its been 2 years since I moved to NYC (Manhattan). It was the best, scariest decision I ever made. Never during my 20s did I ever think I would end up here. I figured me and my ex would get married, settle down in MD. I would keep teaching at MSD but in 2002 it all changed for the better. Even tho at the time I was heart broken, and my self-esteem was at a nil.

I remember how packed my old car was with all of my belongings. Every inch, nook and cranny filled with odds and ends like a can of soup here, a shoe there, anything that had an opening was filled. Poor Tom he had to sit on my lap the whole way up from MD to NYC. He would try to get up and move around but there was no where for him to go. I moved up here after the Republican conventioned ended, I refused to share this wonderful city with them! Besides I knew traffic would be worse with all the newsreporters and what have yous in town that week.

Funny I am not racist, but I am prejudist against the following;
-hard core right wingers (republicans)
-religious fanatics who can't see more than one way to live
-racist against anyone but themselves (including any groups, Blacks, neo-nazis, deaf militants, etc etc)
-holier than tho folks (who act superior or belittle others)
-bullies (mean people still suck!)
-people who commit animal torture/children abusers/rapists
-snobs (intellectual and financial)

See there is no way for anyone in the world not to be bias. Bias comes from personal experiences. Out of all the folks I listed above the only one I may have crossed the line is with Republicans because I do know some who are good people. Sure it boggles my mind, how can they think Bush is a demi-god, I am not sure but they are also a product of their environments.

Friday night, I met one of my Bf's friend from Brooklyn. Basically it was a "double date." I was a little nervous cuz I didnt know what to expect so when we arrived at Unos, I order a chocolate Martini to calm my nerves a little. Once we sat in the booth and ordered dinner, the conversation flowed quite easily. Occassionally my Sweetie had to terp for me, but overall it was fun. I would like to see this couple again soon. Maybe go shoot some pool or bowling?

Spent the afternoon with my Sweetie yesterday, even tho it was lousy weather (major rain and wind from the Hurricane down south). We ht one little clay shop that sold ceramic pieces (plates, cups, piggy banks, etc etc) that you could paint and buy. Then after they fire it in a Kiln, you can return 1 week later to pick them up. My ex would never do things like this with me of his own free will. We went to his rich aunts "Clay Cafe" in VA with some friends a while back. He gave me a hard time the whole way there. I was miserable even tho both of his sisters were there, and my friends too, the fights with him on the way to that event made it sour experience for me as a whole. It was nice to go with the Tin Man and relax, joke some. Plus theres not a whole lot to do on a rainy day. Last night basically watch tv and read, needed a little "me time."

Today is beautiful but I had plans to pack, do laundry and edit so Ive been inside most of the day. Argh the weather isnt cooperating with my schedule!

The Red Cross meeting last friday was a huge success. Basically due to the lack of terps or instructors who can sign ASL, they are drafting up a contract for me to be trained as a certified Red Cross instructor for free in exchange for volunteering the amount of hours these classes take *approx 40 hrs* (5 8 hrs days of training). I would have to fulfill my volunteer obligations within 2 years. This sounds like a great plan. I will recieve my training one on one because with my hearing aid, I can hear well enough in a quiet background and if the person doesnt have an accent. I already told the coordinator during our meeting last Friday that (while its ok for me to have 1 on 1 training with a hearie) if another deaf individual comes in wanting to take classes or whatever, that the Red Cross needs to be prepared to provide them with a terp, regardless of their speaking ability. Its still new to many hearies that a deaf person speaking ability is not a reflection of their deafness. Trust me they do NOT go hand in hand. That the Red Cross should not expect any other deaf person to be willing to do 1:1 training just because I did. They got the message, I wasnt mean just upfront and honest. I often tell hearies, I am a bad example of a deafie, (esp when I am the first one they ever met). I dont want hearies to look at me and say "well look at her, her speech is understandable, she seems to understand me, why cant they all?" why? cuz deafies varies as much as any other human beings. Some need glasses, some need asthma meds etc etc..

I decided to postpone tmw tutoring session because I need to focus on packing and getting ready to move tuesday. I have my things scattered at 2 friends apt and 1 storage unit. Tues gonna be a long day but a good day because now I can finally settle and nest my newest living abode.

Soon I will head downtown to meet the Tin Man at Union Square. I want to treat him to dinner, because he paid for me friday and yesterday. Plus walk around a little tonight, stretch my legs. Enjoy this weather while it lasts.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I have read your blog and you have a very good post and blog. I certainly agree with your blog articles or should I say issue you are discussing. In fact, you should add more articles with regards to your subject more often so that I can come visiting to your blog. How often do you find new and research stuff? Are there any opportunities that I can contribute to your blog. I believe other blog readers would love to read more related stuff. This way, your PR rank for this blog will raise if more visitors are coming. Keep up the good work! Eddy. Get your Asthma Causes Symptoms Report Now! and get your health back fast!