Monday, September 11, 2006

I'm awake.. I think...

Woke up this morning and rolled out of bed. Was up late last night, watching a Jennifer Lopez movie Enough on TNT, the only cable channel on my set worth checking out. It seemed TNT was doing a marathon with Lopez's movie, I caught the beginning of Angel Eyes which looked promising.



With the wireless internet we have the minimal access to tv channels, mostly the giants like (ABC, NBC, Fox...) public tv (MNN, NOVA, PBS...) and crap channels like (food network, tnt, telemoundo...)My netflix movies came too, I ordered "Koko the signing Gorilla." made in 1973, and its CC!







Funny when I was 10 years old, I got a dog, a black lab who my family and I named Koko, after the signing gorilla. I used to have a poster of Koko and her kitten above my bed. This was before I became a "deafie" with cultural identity.

Speaking of TV, the Tin Man sent me a link about Star Trek being digital remastered, you can read more about it at Star Trek




anyhoo my weekend was awesome! Friday nite I had dinner with Knob, King and Szymanski at Harbour Lights. It was right on the water in South Seaport. The dinner was pricey but the company and ambience was more than worth it. Even tho I was grumbling the next day to the Tin man I couldve had 3 or 4 meals out of what I spent but thats just me, I am cheap. I must admit Jews are known for being thrifty, (money grubbers) but I am thrifty not because I am a stingy Jew but because damnit, I am POOR! Besides its like a quest for me, how much money can I save? Buy clothes at thrift stores, food on sales or generic brand, taking the subway over a cab, etc etc.. some days when I get compliments on my clothes, I proundly reply the whole outfit aside from the undies and socks may have cost me 12 bucks or less! After dinner, it was DPHH time, the bar that was choosen was actually a sit down kinda place. Many deafies like to stand around and yak so they moved to a different bar, and I headed home to unpack more. I'm in the first photo in NYCDPHH website. Also here's another pix of me, taken by Szymanski!


Saturday met up with Joe Joy for Brunch/Lunch in Union Square. It was great to finally sit down and catch up with my main Gay! He is my first Gay friend who I consider myself to be his fag hag. I have had gay friends all my life but every woman knows theres always one or two gays out there that you become their fag hag for life. Joe Joy is mine! He came to my new apt, gave me thumbs up and went into Mama Joe mode by folding clothes of mine and helping me break down cardboard boxes to take to the recyclables. I had a blast.

Then @4pm Sat I met up with my Sweetie who brought me a new SideKick 3 in leiu of my digital camera not arriving in time for my birthday (its on back order and should arrive any day now) he felt bad that a whole month went by without a bday gift. I explained to him the trip to Niagara Falls and dozen of roses was more than enough but he disagreed. Hey I am not minding being spoiled, its just I am not used to it. If anyone who knows me, I LOVE presents, gimmie gimme gimme.... funny my ex was terrible at gift giving. He felt material goods was in no way able to show the "love" but he's wrong. Gifts show consideration, thoughtfulness. It shows you are thinking about that person such as their birthday or during an anniversary. I gotta say one of the things I love about the Tin Man is he is VERY considerate of me. For example the new SideKick 3 has an MP3 player for music. I can never use headphones not because they aren't loud enough but because everyone around me has to listen to my music which ranges from Metallica to the Doors to Madonna! So he order a special headphones with an amplifier for me and apparently this set not only increases the volume for me, but decreases the likelihood of it bothering others around me. I may also be able to use it for phone calls with family or him (peoples voices I know, not for everyday calls.) He was a little concerned when he told me this because he felt I might think he was being "audist" by giving me this but I told him I thought it was so sweet of him to go out of his way to find me headphones I could use. We will test it out when it arrives, if it doesnt work, back it goes! We also went to Bed, Bath and Beyond for some needed items to help me settle into the new apt. I ended up spending $140 on a set of sheets that I thought were $99, thats way too much, I love the sheets but not that much. I will return it later this week.

Sunday I unpacked more, went uptown for a little shopping and had my first dinner party. I invited Blondie, Szymanski and King for dinner. I was originally gonna make salmon but the stores nearby didnt have it or if they did, it looked questionable, so instead I order chinese take out, steamed chicken, shrimp and veggies. Blondie and King brought bottles of Chardonay which we killed off both bottles last night. Szymanski brought this delicious lemon cake, with berrie toppings to die for. We also played Set. (Szymanski intro me this game last year, excellent choice for deafies who pride their visual abilities). This website has a daily puzzle so check it out, it was created for folks like those involved with Mensa. If you dont know what Mensa is, then dont bother going to the site...that automatically lowers your IQ to under a 100 if Mensa is a new to you *winks* We also played some 90's trivia pursuit. It was a blast, a lot of good conversations and laughing and it was just so nice to be able to have a small dinner party. I havent been able to do so since living in MD.

My roommate got home late last night, she's a flight attendant so it was funny to see her walk in with the uniform on and her wings pinned to her lapel. She was disappointed not to see Tom my bastard kitty, I explained that Blondie and I will be bringing over on thursday evening. I want to finish unpacking before bringing him home and get his food and cat box set up. I asked her if she was ok with the few boxes that have to be unpacked and some clutter, she didnt care. I am relieved because I am not trying to take over the apt.. I believe in sharing and shes a nice girl. I feel very lucky to have a new home with a cool roommate, in a good location.

Tonight I have a film gig downtown for a friend's premiere. It totally slipped my mind today is 9/11. Wow 5 years, they went by quickly. Also since the cat is out of the bag, I've decided to post a photo of my new tattoo I got on July 27th signifying the end of grad school, Sarah's passing, becoming a real filmmaker, dating the Tin Man.



The smaller one I got 7 years ago in honor of Chanda's death. Of course my family wasn't very happy, they never are when it comes to this. But I was geniunely surprised by Baba's reaction which was very minimal and short lived. I expected her to be mad for days but I think she knows, thats who I am, agreed or not, I'm still me, the deafening chameleon! Below sums up my mood (this was a magnet on Eddie's refridgerator door and I just had to snap a shot of it)the pix is kinda small but it reads "Its been lovely but I have to scream now."

No comments: