Monday, December 08, 2008

France's little sparrow

I recently finished a melanchy movie called Le vie en Rose basically French biopic on Edith Piaf. She was a famous singer in Paris and her nickname was Little Sparrow because she was under 5 feet tall. This was a life I was glad I did not live, hers was full of neglect while growing up. Which eventually led her to drugs and alcohol abuse. She died age of 47.

This movie also made me reflect on how at MSSD I took French class and really couldn't grasp it. All my life I never understood languages and how they work, including English. It wasn't till I started grad school back in 2004 did I finally realize my ASL sucked? That semantically my ASL usage was based on English, not the meaning of what I was trying to say. It has made me feel better about my skills as a writer and as an ASL signer. Obviously not now but down the road there are several languages I would like to learn the basics of it, at least 1st year level. I think knowing a few languages is good. I don't expect to master the verbal aspect, pbfft! I have enough trouble saying "big" words in English, why would I ever torture myself like that. Besides should I ever go to France, I still be deaf.

Tonight's class went well. I am relieved too I was worried my lesson plan wouldn't be challenging or stimulating enough. But it was, *whew!*

Still miss Jack a lot, duh like you couldn't tell by my ongoing movie viewings??? But anyways, I recently have discovered two new blogs through my blog links on the right, one is Snazzy-BAMM and the other Docce. Both who's writing style I absolutely enjoy reading. Nancy, check em out when time permits. By the way I am thinking of all of you and Nigel's family, especially for tmw night's memorial service.

No comments: