Thursday, December 18, 2008

Space: Above & Beyond

Recently my netflix viewing has been a series called Space: Above and Beyond. Its came out in 1995 and only lasted 1 season. What a bummer because this show is SOOO good! It was created by Glen Morgan and James Wong (they also did the Xfiles and a lot of other shows for Fox). I can't imagine why it wasn't picked up other than the fact the show got bumped around so much in terms of viewing times. The reason why I liked this show a lot was it had a heavy military feel to it. The story takes place in the year 2063 after a major alien attacked earth. There are 4 main parties involved. The humans (us). The invitros or sometimes called Tanks or Nipple Necks as racist terms, they are human that are born age 18 and genetically enhanced to fight the AIs. Which brings me to the 3rd group AIs which are artificial intelligence rebels aka Silicates. The humans fought the Silicates and were losing so thats when they started using invitros but we the audience never get to see this, it is told as the story unfolds. Lastly there are the aliens aka Chigs. The show is based on a marine squadon called the 58th, consist of all humans except for 1 invitro name Hawkes. Plus their lieutenant McQueen is also an invitro. I absolutely loved this series! I didn't want it to end when I watched the last episode, they left a good cliffhanger. I get the feeling that Battlestar Galatica took a lot of their ideas on how their characters should act from this show. There's a fan site for this show and also another fan sites where people can write and submit story ideas for all kinds of media which I thought was very interesting. Sci-fi ought to buy it and remake it! All I can say is BRING BACK THIS SHOW!!!!

In a few hours, I will head to NJ 1 last time and then I won't be back for 5 whole weeks! hoo-rah!

No comments: