Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Teaching rewards

I received this email from my student today;

Hi Prof.

I just wanted to share something with you that happened to me today that I thought was really cool. My friend called me up ( who knows I am taking your class) and said he had a deaf person coming into his place of business to have some video work done and that he was worried he did not know how to communicate with her. He invited me over and I waited for her to arrive.

She finally came and I was able not only to communicate with her but to also translate all the information to my friend and sign back for him as well.

I first introduced myself and then my friend and told her that I am studying asl and i know very little. We get threw the whole interview and I was able to tell her how much it would cost and when it would it be ready. She thanked me for my help and said my asl was very good. LOLOL

My friend was amazed at how much you taught us in such a short period of time. I should of video taped it for my final LOLOLOL.

Just thought it was interesting and wanted to share.

See you Thursday

Imagine he didn't even know the manual ABCs before last Sept and here he is able to have a decent conversation with a deaf stranger. This of course made my day and reinforces my self-esteem as a teacher :-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's quite an accolade, Jenny, and a lot better than yours truly could do. When I feel better, I plan to tell you about a deaf six-month old whose father has rejected her. He's in the Military and considers it a blotch on his reputation! Huh? I told the mutual friend to tell the mother she could call me. I plan to put her in touch with DHHS.
Baba

Anonymous said...

Dearest Jenny,

That is quite an accomplishment on your part to have such a positive impact on your students. I am sure that he is quite proud of himself for doing so well and owes it all to you. You are the best.
Mumma

Kate O. Breen said...

hi jen

congrats! that really helps :)