Saturday, December 06, 2008

Online viewing with subtitles


Recently I've discovered an online site that has many captioned shows called Hulu. What I recommend you to do is click on either TV or MOVIE link and then POPULAR. Scroll down to the left side and at the end of the list it says SPECIAL FEATURES closed caption. Click on that and then all the results will include shows or movies with CC. Yep its that easy. Not everything on the site is CC but a lot of it is :) and its FREE.

I also watched an online movie through netflix under the foreign selection called Pan's Labyrinth. Man was that a stupendous movie! I really had no idea how truly magnificent movie it was! Granted the man who played the step father was the ultimate villain, his nazi like antics put a chill down my spine. But it was evenly balanced with the enchanting scenes of Ofelia's fairyland accompany by a faun who instructs her on 3 tasks she must complete in order to return to her Father's realm in the underworld. This movie doesn't disappoint nor does it have that "disney" sugary quality to make you feel like you're watching a kids movie. I don't usually like foreign movies, often they move too slow but not this one. One thing that really impressed me about this movie is the director Guillermo Del Torro wrote the subtitles himself because he was disappointed with the subtitles of his previous Spanish film, The Devil's Backbone. In an interview, he said that they were "for the thinking impaired" and "incredibly bad." He spent a month working with two other people, and said that he didn't want it to "feel like... watching a subtitled film." And it really made a difference.

Also Netflix online viewing doesn't have CC so I am limited to only foreign movies with subtitles. That's fine by me, I like being exposed to new things but I do intend to write to netflix and inquire why they do not have CC for their online media? If hulu and NBC can do it, why can't they? They have the means and the money to do so. We're living in a digital world, no excuses!

I didn't go to DPHH after work last night, just wasn't feeling overly social with Jack leaving last Monday and Bobby's friend Nigel's death just left me feeling quiet. Lucky for me King and Weird Terp snapped the photos, and I didn't feel guilty for not going. The last time I missed DPHH was last July for my nephew's bday so not a bad track record. So I went home and cleaned up some. I figured I would start with the bedroom and move all the boxes to the living room and anything that doesn't have a place so far in the bedroom as well. This way I can complete 1 room and then work on the next which would be the living room. I've also organized part of the kitchen too.

Now I am at work covering an all day event which is a movie festival. Easy job, just pop in the movies, turn the lights on and off and make sure the mics work. Yep, I love my job at media, where else could I get paid to do something so easy and have so much free time to work on my lesson plans and student's papers?

No comments: