Thursday, November 30, 2006

My 2 sample essays

I had to write 2 sample essays for my student's final exam. I decided to use real life experiences. These are from when I was a kid/teenager and do not reflect my current way of life;

Here are the 2 essays I am asking for;

Please pick either A or B and type a two page Essay on the topic you have choosen.

A- Write about a time when you did something you were not supposed to do and where it took place. What did you do and why did you do it? How old were you? Explain all details of what happened, -slowly, and step by step. What did you learn from this experience?



B- Write about a disagreement you had with your parents. What was the disagreement about and where did it take place? How did the disagreement start? How did the disagreement end? How old were you when this disagreement happened? Explain in details of what happened, -slowly, and step by step. What did you learn from this experience?


Here are my examples;

I Stole From the Gap!

When I was 15 years old and at MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf) I became friends with a girl name Annie. We both were oral students learning ASL as teenagers. She was one of my closest friends. I discovered one day while we were off campus in George Town that Annie liked to shoplift. I was so surprised because I had never stolen anything before in my life!
After a few more times, she showed me how to shoplift. Basically you take an item or object which has to be pretty small, small enough to slide up your sleeves. We would go to different stores and slide make up and music cassette tapes up our sleeves and walk out the store. This went on for a few months.
One night our dorm had a trip to SpringField Mall in VA, and we were in the Gap store. It was near the winter holidays and I didn’t have any money to buy things so we decided we would each take a shirt from the Gap store and we did. We also stole earrings and necklaces from a Claire’s boutique store and other stuff.
Then riding the bus on the way back to MSSD, Annie and I took our stolen goods out and was bragging about them to the other girls on the bus. We were stupid and admitted we stole from the Gap. One girl who I hated name Deanna was nosey and saw what we signed.
We got back to Dorm D and went to our rooms. About 30 minutes later an REA (Residential Education Advisor) came to my room and told me to come into the office to talk to the CRE (Campus Resident Educator) who was the head of the dorm. I can’t remember the CRE’s name but she confronted us about the things we brought. Making us show her all of the stolen goods. She asked us where the receipts were? We both lied and said we threw them out and put everything in one bag to make it easier to carry. She told us how Deanna said we were bragging about stealing from the Gap. We were busted! Of course I was crying my eyes out but Annie stayed calm and cool. She didn’t care or worry about the CRE calling her parents. I was very upset about my family knowing.
Then the CRE said we would have to go back the next night to the Gap store and return the shirts. She also told us they may call the police and file a report on us but it was their decision not MSSD’s. I cried all night and felt terrible.
The next night, it was just me, and Annie with one REA driving us back to SpringField Mall and I didn’t want to go but had no choice! Annie was quiet the whole ride there. I felt like Annie didn’t care and I started not to like Annie.
We got there and went to the Gap store. I was so ashamed. We gave back the shirts and the Gap store people said they decided not to call the police. The REA said we were very lucky. It was so humiliating to admit it to their faces.
We got back to MSSD and we both were punished with community service and had OCR (off campus restriction) meaning we were not allowed off campus on the weekends for 2 months. Then after that, we both couldn’t go off campus without a staff with us for another month. I stopped hanging out with Annie. She still would steal stuff and brag about it. I never stole again!
I learned that even if you have a friend you like, if they do things that are wrong or convince you to do those things with them. They aren’t your friends. I learned that stealing is wrong and that I don’t like the humiliation of being caught.


I Never Liked Wearing Dresses

My Mother always wanted me to wear dresses. From the time I was a little child throughout most of my teenage years I never liked to wear dresses. Every year for school photos my Mother would beg and plead with me to wear something nice for my picture. I just wanted to wear a tee shirt and jeans. I was not happy at my hearing school. I had no friends and I wanted to be invisible.
When I was a senior at MSSD (Model Secondary School for the Deaf) it was time for graduation. I decided to wear jeans, converse sneakers and a black tee. I figured that I was wearing a graduation gown so no one could see my clothes underneath it.
Well, my assistant principal Vivian Rice read me the “riot act.” Saying the way I dressed was not appropriate and that I needed to go and change my clothes. I told her “I don’t have any dresses or nice pants.” She didn’t believe me. So we went back to the dorm to my room where I opened up my closet and my dresser and I was right, I only had jeans and tee shirts with flannels. Back then I was into heavy metal so of course most of my clothing were dark colored or skulls and roses with thorns. I just couldn’t see what the big deal was.
Then when I went to Gallaudet University, my mother would complain about me dressing so ugly and never using a purse. I said “Mom, who cares, I am not a girly girl!” And then she said “Jenny you are so pretty, why do you want to cover yourself up like that?” She would try to get me to go shopping for new clothes and pick out clothes like skirts and blouses. I wasn’t happy.
I dated one deaf guy for almost 7 years and then we broke up. Somehow something inside of me changed. I no longer wanted to dress down all the time. I wanted to dress pretty so I could feel pretty. I realized that I spent most of my life feeling ugly and my clothes reflected my self-esteem.
My Mom is now happy with the way I dress. I even learned to use a purse. My new boyfriend teases me about the way I used to dress when he sees older photos of me. My Mom was right, I am attractive and I do not need to hide my body in baggy clothing. I still wear jeans a lot but mostly on the weekends. I dress professionally for work, and pretty for when I go out with friends or my boyfriend. Now I go shopping with Mom and it is fun. She loves it when I buy something she picked out for me.
I learned that I don’t have to be invisible or wear ugly clothes. I know now when I see girls dressed in baggy clothes that it may mean they are embarrass about how they look or not comfortable with their bodies. A woman doesn’t have to dress girly but dress nicely. I think when you dress nicely it makes you feel better about yourself.

No comments: